Skip to main content
Topic: Drop the engine, anybody seen this idea? (Read 2499 times) previous topic - next topic

Drop the engine, anybody seen this idea?

This is interesting http://fordifiedracing.homestead.com/kitinfo.html

I wonder how it would affect the front end?  It would sure give you more room all the way around.  But how about the steering?

Maybe it did not work too well because the email link does not work anymore.  One thing is that it would lower down the oil pan and get it maybe too close to the pavement and headers made for this swap may not work anymore.

TED

Reply #1
Well looks like it works

Reply #2
I've seen a kit similar to that.  The guy who did up the '86 TurboCoupe with a 460 used one.  Let him fit the 460 under the stock hood with only a few modifications.  I know with a kit like this you migh also have to lower the front suspension quite a bit to maintain a level stance.

Reply #3
Quote from: Cad-T-Bird 500
This is interesting http://fordifiedracing.homestead.com/kitinfo.html
One thing is that it would lower down the oil pan and get it maybe too close to the pavement and headers made for this swap may not work anymore.

TED

If I understand correctly it raises the chassis on the crossmember, that won't affect the pan to ground clearance. It will restore ride height when using stock springs as well. Only concerns would be keeping the fan centered on the radiator(can you say electric).

Reply #4
BENNY's 7.5L 93 LX STILL HAS THE STOCK

4-CYL SPRINGS ALL AROUND,  RUNS LIKE A SCALDED DOG, AND DRIVES LIKE A DREAM!

Riiiiiiggghhhtttt.

He much have very low expectations handling-wise......:wtf:

Sorry, but no thanks.....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #5
Well i would like to see this kit on a car first hand.
I'm now 99% sure my TC will be going the 460 way.
Still pondering turbo's since i have then but i wanted to do 351 with them.  I had thinking out combos and idea's

Dont help i have mock up motor with half compleated LOL

Now I see

Reply #6
I'm a bit slow sometimes but I see what you are talking about now.

You do not lower the engine, this is a lift kit for the body.  So the only concerns if there are any, are the steering shaft and the shock length.  But if you put in a bigger engine and you were sitting lower anyways the shocks would not be a problem.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  This would not help me at this time because I hung the motor off the sway bar mount and it is not on the crossmember, so the only other benifit is that it might make more room for header if I ever wanted them.

The only other problem for someone who might want this is that his email link does not work.

TED

Reply #7
I'm a bit slow sometimes but I see what you are talking about now.

You do not lower the engine, this is a lift kit for the body.  So the only concerns if there are any, are the steering shaft and the shock length.  But if you put in a bigger engine and you were sitting lower anyways the shocks would not be a problem.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  This would not help me at this time because I hung the motor off the sway bar mount and it is not on the crossmember, so the only other benifit is that it might make more room for header if I ever wanted them.

The only other problem for someone who might want this is that his email link does not work.

TED

please tell me you re welded those sway bar brackets;)

would you also please check your thread about your fuel issues:hick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

No need to weld

Reply #8
I made up a solid crossmember out of flat iron that goes from side to side.  These mount can stand the twisting of a very large sway bar I think this will do just fine.  At least I hope.

TED

Reply #9
I made up a solid crossmember out of flat iron that goes from side to side.  These mount can stand the twisting of a very large sway bar I think this will do just fine.  At least I hope.

TED

i would keep an eye on them ive ripped 2 off of cars that i had an torque link on .maynot pose a problem bieng 2 of equal load

i just put one on my 429 car but it goes thru the subframe with a 5/8 stud
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
1974 maverick lsx powered turbo car SOLD
1973 maverick Tijuana Taxi Tribute
1957 chevy LSX Turbo project (race car)
Owner of Joe Dirt Fabrication

Reply #10
When I bought my 87 XR7, one of the sway bar mounts had already been ripped off. That was just from the suspension pressure of a completely stock vehicle. I'm not sure I would trust it to hold the torque of an engine, especially one that large. If I were you, I would think about reenforcing that entire part of the frame. When my mount broke, it pulled off about 6 inches of the sheet metal on the frame rail that it was welded to. I think I would probably just cut the factory mount off, weld a piece of 2" angle iron (at least a foot long) over the inside/bottom of the frame rail, and then weld another heavier mount to the angle iron.

My idea may be complete overkill, but I'd really hate to see your motor rip the front of your car all apart.