Skip to main content
Topic: 351C Q&A (Read 1672 times) previous topic - next topic

351C Q&A

Well, since I'm not gonna make it to CJ this year (due to car not running and medical bills stacking up), I thought it'd be a good time to pull my dead 5.0 and get a new motor.  I can get a good strong running medium miles 351C with a C4 tranny for $500.  My question is, what all needs to go from under the cat's hood, and what needs to stay?  Also am I gonna have to get a new k-member to hold the weight of the 351?  Will the driveshaft still work with the C4? Sorry if any or all of this has been asked before, but I myself normally don't deal with much motor work.
'86 cougar gone to the big yard.
'86&'88 Jeep Comanches.

Re: 351C Q&A

Reply #1
No you won't need another crossmember, the factory member is way stronger than the aftermarket tublars.. I believe the C4 is the same length as a AOD but the mount may be located differently.. You'll need a duraspark ign system as well as some type fuel pressure regulation. Also there are things like throttle cables and exaust system to think about...

And if you are in a smog check state, it will never pass emissions or even the visual check.

Reply #2
Thanks for the help and info Tom.  I don't believe I have to worry too much about the ignition system as I'm getting the entire vehicle.  As far as the fuel pressure regulator, that's now on the list of things to get.  Now for the fuel pump itself, do I have to get a new one, or can I get away with simply blocking off the return line?  Emissions are no problem here in Wisconsin, not a single check, so I can cobble my own exhaust up if nessecary.  Almost forgot about the throttle cable issue, what all's involved in that?  Just relocating it to run on the carb or running a whole new cable in a different location?
'86 cougar gone to the big yard.
'86&'88 Jeep Comanches.

Reply #3
new cable.a cfi cable could probably be made to work.yes the drive shaft will fit like Turbocoupe50 said,just grind the spot welds on the end of your crossmember mounts to slide it back and forth.of coarse you will need a fox swap 351c pan and pickup and headers as well.seen a setup on http://www.corral.net for sale recently.