Skip to main content
Topic: another v6 to v8 swap. (Read 1909 times) previous topic - next topic

another v6 to v8 swap.

I just bought a 1987 v-6 with good clean body. Underside has no ses(minus the fron air dam) and only small damage from a wreck on the drivers side fender. It wasent repaired all that good, but a new fender and it would be pretty perfect. Now the problem. Now I know what all of you v-6 guys are complaining about. Driving the v-6 on the free way the way I would my v-8 I am only getting about 15 to 18 mpg.
    Anyways, I have one too many for the driveway now. I have a couple of "go fast" parts. I also have the 86 in my avitar that has many problems with the body flexing and just quite a few misc things. I am becomeing fond of the 87 body. Basically what do I need? I have the wring harness and motor mounts and a complete 86 sefi v-8 with almost everything for the H.O. conversion. Basically I am just trying to see if ya'll think it ill be worth it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: another v6 to v8 swap.

Reply #1
I would pull the dash and change its harness  as well.  The 86 engine harness will not plug into the 87 dash harness.  Are the clusters the same type, probably both base clusters?  If so it will make it easier.  I'm not so sure if the 86 mounts will work?  Somebody else? 

Oh and why wouldn't this be worth it?
One 88

Reply #2
Well I think it will, I know the motor mounts will work, If they dont I will make them. I am just looking for a second opinion. 86 has full digital 87 has the base. I think I will pull the dash and get the harnesses switched out. Its just that I need to get rid of this other car. I have been meaning to for almost a year that it wasent running, but now that it is I am not sure I want to. I need to get rid of it though. Its just that I want to make sure that It is taken care of after I get rid of it. The v-6 might just go back in the 86 for a destruction derby. As sad as that is, it has major physical damage. Needs a new rear quarter panel and the frame is warping and the alignment needs fixed. Maybe even a whole new front end. Interior is pretty much shot as well. I dont want to get rid of it, but the time has come. Thanks for the input.
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.

Reply #3
I say forget about pulling the dash...can't you just whip together some adaptors using the interior harness of the 86 and the engine harness of the 87?

Reply #4
Quote from: joefriday
I say forget about pulling the dash...can't you just whip together some adaptors using the interior harness of the 86 and the engine harness of the 87?

I agree with Joe, no way I'm rippin out a dash harness on one of these things..  heater core is hard enough...

Reply #5
eh I guess. First I need to make sure that it is legal to throw in a 5.0
Hooligans! 
1986 cougar.

Reply #6
Quote from: Haystack
eh I guess. First I need to make sure that it is legal to throw in a 5.0

Usually the law states you cannot install a engine that is older than the body... But If you tell 'em it came from a '88 who's gonna know???

My 5.0 is a '86, and have plans to build a 347 in a '85 block...