Skip to main content
Topic: Automatic to Manual Conversion - Transmission Tunnel Hump Question (Read 4371 times) previous topic - next topic

Automatic to Manual Conversion - Transmission Tunnel Hump Question

Does anyone know if the transmission tunnel hump from the 79-93 Fox Mustang will work for our cars when converting from a column shift automatic to a manual transmission car?  I guess this would also be for converting over from a column shift car to a floor shift auto as well?  The reason I am asking is that I just cut a hole in the tunnel on my '83 and called it good but I am thinking about reworking it as I think it would seal up better.  LMR has the hump for the 79-93 Fox Mustangs new so if there is not a difference then I was thinking about going that route.

https://lmr.com/products/79-93-Mustang-Manual-Transmission-Tunnel-Hump-Install

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #1
Well I remembered this chart from the old FMS/Ford Racing catalog and took a pic for you...it should explain things a bit:

Reply #2
That is awesome info but I was referring to the hump where the shifter comes through the trans tunnel. Should have been more specific so my fault there.

Reply #4
I researched this for my 84.  My car started as an auto and I just bent the metal around the opening to make it work.  I want to fix it proper but the Mustang tunnel is a different shape.  I can get a picture of both my 84 and my 90 GT as they both don't have interiors.  I was going to try the Mustang extension, but I don't want to drop the money on a new one and it just not come even close to fitting.

Reply #5
Am I missing something?  When I went from AOD to T-5, I used the boot and dust cover from the 88 stang donor.  If I remember,there were dimpled spots to drill on the tunnel on my 84 for the boot to align and fasten. I assume this was done for the TC's on the production line. I vaguely remember having to bend the outside ring, but once the consel was put back and the boot installed,all was good.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #6
My car was a 5.0 AOD car so there were no dimpled spots and I am missing the riser on the hump for the T-5.  I think one of my buddies has a trashed manual trans Fox Mustang so I may go and see if I can cut that one out and do some mocking up.  This will take a few months but it would be better than spending $100 on something that just will not work.

Reply #7
Exactly, I don't want to spend $100 on a piece I can't use on my Cougar and don't need for my factory 5-speed Mustang.

Reply #8
fyi, same boat here,,,
87 factory auto with 3.8L has no drill locate dimples either..........

Reply #9
Quote from: jcassity;458445
fyi, same boat here,,,
87 factory auto with 3.8L has no drill locate dimples either..........
Mine is an 84...don't know about other years.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #10
My 5.0 87 bird didnt either.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #11
When I did my T5 swap, I had to bend the corners of the hole to allow the shifter to come up through the floor.  I didn't have an inner dust boot, so I don't remember if mine has the dimples.  I'd say probably not because the hole is too small.  The floor shift cars all probably share the same opening.  Since the factory 5 speed cars are so rare, being only on TC's and XR-7's, who knows if I'll ever see how Ford accommodated the T5.

I'm not too too worried about it, but it'd be nice to know if the new LMR Mustang piece fits, at least close enough to modify.  I'll probably have to fab up something custom anyway since I'm throwing a 3650 in and eventually a T56.

Reply #12
I just expoxied a ford ranger rubher shifter boot over the hole between the carpet. It would take much of anything to get something rubber to seal.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #13
I saw a Turbo Coupe shifter part of the transmission tunnel on Ebay yesterday.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #14
I did too but I was not sure if there is a sheet metal difference between the 83-88 Fox Birds and Cougars.  If not then I might be tempted to see if I can find a salvaged TC and cut one out of it as well as a Mustang one to compare.  I wonder if a body shop manual would have anything on this.