Skip to main content
Topic: Rebuilding TC 8.8 for my 88 sport (Read 2274 times) previous topic - next topic

Rebuilding TC 8.8 for my 88 sport

I just drove 183 miles for this, I hope most of this is surface rust.  Time to put a parts list together any suggestions on brakes? I planning a five lug conversion I would like to keep TC brake components if possible.  But not sure about parts availablity in the future......
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Thunderbird Sport 302 H-pipe,flowmaster 50 series delta flow e303 cam GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads, trick flow springs and rocker arms.

Reply #1
Easy....to keep the TC brakes and go 5 lug, you'll need 94-98 Mustang axles and 91-92 Mark VII rear discs.  I'm using '98 Cobra axles.

Reply #2
The factory TC e-brake cables will work on the 94-98 Mustang V6/GT calipers so I would simply rob the axles and everything else off of a 94-98 V6 Mustang and bolt it all in.  Parts are easy to come by in a parts store and you have the option to go to the Cobra brakes.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #3
Quote from: Aerocoupe;458669
The factory TC e-brake cables will work on the 94-98 Mustang V6/GT calipers so I would simply rob the axles and everything else off of a 94-98 V6 Mustang and bolt it all in.  Parts are easy to come by in a parts store and you have the option to go to the Cobra brakes.

That actually sounds like a great idea! But I'm not sure about the 28 spline axle.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]88 Thunderbird Sport 302 H-pipe,flowmaster 50 series delta flow e303 cam GT40 upper and lower intake, GT40P heads, trick flow springs and rocker arms.

Reply #4
Unless you are gonna put some big power down and use slicks they will be fine. I was over 300 rwhp on stock axles for years and even ran ET Streets on them a few times with zero issues. This was with 3.73 gears and a limited slip with an extra clutch and an F150 Z spring so it was full posi.

If you have big hp plans information like up front that helps with advice.

Reply #5
For horsepower Aerocoupe  I'm currently saving for a trickflow top end kit 350 ponies
https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-k514-350370b
  There's not a lot info on how much hp 28 spline axles can handle.  So I'm not sure whether to go with the 28 or 31.....so my thought process from research so far is leading me to think if I start with a 31 spline axle from the beginning, then I can eliminate worrying about if 28 spline can handle Too much hp (if there is such a thing lol) once I get this kit bolted on. I mean is there any down side to having a 28 or 31 spline axle?

Reply #6
Aerocoupe your t-bird is sweet I checked out you resurrection links.  The roll cage is really nice!

Reply #7
I've seen Fox Mustangs running in the 12's all day long on stock 28 spline axles and then I've seen a stock motor car break them. I also saw a 300ish hp car break aftermarket 31 spline axles.

With you running an auto I would not worry about the stock axles. Your 350 hp is going to be flywheel and with just the bolt ons my guess is more around the 285-300 rwhp mark. Not dissing the build it's just a naturally aspirated 5.0 so without forced induction, nitrous, or putting a solid roller can in it and spinning the rpm's up that is what you will get.

Reply #8
28 spline it's then.  Which work great with pricing parts.......and it cool lol, your dissing my build, cause it's trickflow's build, and beside I'm a complete novice with no auto mechanics experience what so ever.  Outside of changing alternators, radios, brakes and oil I got nothing hence the reason I'm here. But I'm sure you knew that already. I just fell in love with this car and the idea of Giving it a beast mode.

Reply #9
Didn't mean to come across as dissing your build as it will make good power for a 302 but that is what it is, a 302. There is a saying that when you build a 351W and put 302 heads, cam, etc in it...it will make 302 power. The 306 in my Coupe built 318 rwhp and 323 ft-lbs of torque on a Mustang dyno. It would put a car every shift on a new 5.0 Coyote Mustang if it was stock and those motors build about 430 rwhp on average stock. It's all about getting it to the ground and using it.

My Bird builds about 500 rwhp on the motor and will put a shaging beat down on a Coyote motor Mustang on the motor. It was built to make decent motor power and take a 200 shot of nitrous but it just spins the  out of the street tires on the motor so the gas is pointless unless I am on good tires.

Lots of knowledge on here so keep moving on the build but make sure it can stop with the added power!

Reply #10
Speaking of stoppping.....can I bolt on this 1994 mustang brake kit http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4659189&cc=1134133&jnid=547&jpid=6 with no mods? I'm thinking this would be good stopping power for my build.

Reply #11
Best bang for the buck is the '99 and up PBR front calipers off the V6 or GT cars as they are dual 44mm piston. With the 94-98 spindles you will have to barely modify them to get these calipers to work. Run good brake pads like the Hawk HP's (not the HP+, way too dusty) and it will stop a freight train. I ran this setup on my Coupe for years and loved it. You will still need the Cobra MC and booster. Again, all these parts are serviceable from an auto parts store.

Reply #12
As far a breaking axles it's not spinning that breaks them it's traction. You hook, you break stuff.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.