Skip to main content
Topic: Console Install Tips? (Read 4025 times) previous topic - next topic

Console Install Tips?

Im putting in an early floor console into my 87 LX. I think the extra hump on the back is a little silly, but its the only one I have found so far in good shape. I rough fit it yesterday and trimmed the carpet, hopefully get a chance to drill holes and screw it down tonight.

I cant get the two front extensions to stay flush with the dash. There doesnt seem to be anything that really locates them there. Also, the front of the console fits around the mounting bracket well, but it doesnt look like it attaches anywhere up front, just kind of fits around the bracket. There are four holes around the edges, two look too small to have a screw through them. I bet the other two take the u clip deals, but the console is below the metal bracket, not above, so i dont see what would secure it.

Anybody able to take a cell phone pic of theirs with the tray/shifter trimplate off?
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Console Install Tips?

Reply #2
Ok, well, look at pic 15. Mine lines up with the console plastic underneath the u clips. So, nothing would be secured by putting a screw in those holes. Doesnt the tray/shifter trim just pop on? So what is secured by the two screws?
87 Thunderbird LX
65mm tb, exploder intake, iron gt40 heads, 1.6 rr, a9l mass air swap, 9.5" Billet Dirty Dog TC, Built AOD, 4.10's, 31 spline TLoc, Superior Axles, full sn95 five lug swap.

Console Install Tips?

Reply #3
There should be some small clips for it to screw into if I remember right. Been a couple years though.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com