Skip to main content
Topic: 2.0Ghz Celeron o'ced at 3.0Ghz! (Read 5466 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2.0Ghz Celeron o'ced at 3.0Ghz!

Reply #31
Well, since my camera ped out, I'll just have to describe what I was going to picture.

My overclocking obsession peaked with a certain Socket A heat sink, the ThermalRight AX7, which was probably the third one I tried of the then-pretty-new heat sinks meant for 80mm fans. Got it for free in a screwed-up order. (I contacted the guy, he said keep it, since I was the only one who was ever honest enough to contact him about such a thing, a part in the order that wasn't ordered) Anyway, mated that heat sink to an adapter.. 80mm to 120mm.. and put a Mechatronics F1238 fan on it. (130-140 CFM 120mm)

Mind you, stuff like this was usually hung in cases with like 6 fans (my worst case ever had something like 10 of them) added on top of the PSU and HSF. Hell, even this hacked-up eMachines I'm using now has a 92mm fan cut into the side of it, to keep my 9700 Pro cool.

Reply #32
Hey, I had that Epox board...but I think the model that it replaced. Think the G5 had one more PCI slot. Great board and was extremely solid. I liked the ability to use either 66 or 100MHz memory in the thing, out of sync. Most boards didn't do that at the time. I had a great experience with it after dealing with an ALi chipset on my previous board that wouldn't run TNT cards. Used it with my K6-2 but could only get a 50MHz overclock no matter what I tried. Typical overclock range of most K6-2's of the time, later with some getting +100

My overclocking peaked with a couple Alpha heatsinks on my Celerons, although those processors still put out only like 20 watts of heat MAX. Its around the time everyone started researching new heatsink designs as it became more important for faster processors. Also watercooling started to take off, but everything had to be custom made. There was no market for water or "casemods". The good ole days ;) Now its impossible to find a good case without a bunch of lights, windows, holes, etc

edit:
nm, it was the 1MB cache version before the 2MB came out a few months later. http://www.epox.com/USA/product.asp?id=EP-MVP3G2
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #33
K6-3s were just as stubborn, if not more so. I don't even think I could get 450 stable out of that 400.. but that extra on-chip L2 cache was nice.

There were AT and ATX versions of that board. MVP3E-M had 4 PCI/3 ISA (1 PCI/ISA shared) and was ATX. The other ATX versions all had 5 PCI (w/ PCI1 and PCI5 being on the same interrupt) and 2 ISA. (1 PCI/ISA shared) I think MVP3G-M had half a meg of cache, MVP3G2 had 1 meg of cache, and MVP3G5 had 2 megs of cache. I worked at a PC shop, at the time they were still new, where the boss had a thing for EPoX Super-7s.. and I learned to like using them quite a bit. We had very few complaints about any system we built around 'em w/ K6-2s.

All in all, it was a nice last-gasp for Socket 7.

Reply #34
i miss my old k6 processor. I clocked my newest computer(amd 1800) and that one clocked at 1600 or mhz. my old 233 clocked in at 433mhz. never had a single problem with that comptuer.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com