Skip to main content
Topic: 2.0Ghz Celeron o'ced at 3.0Ghz! (Read 5467 times) previous topic - next topic

2.0Ghz Celeron o'ced at 3.0Ghz!

WooHoo!  I FINALLY got my cely running the way I knew it would!  Back in January I decided I wanted more power than my old HP 6835 could muster.  So...I ended up building my own computer.  In total I have around $450 in it (after rebates).  Here's the specs:

Thermaltake Xaser III case
ECS PM800 M2 1.0 mobo
o'ced Celeron 2.0Ghz (3.0 Ghz @ 600Mhz FSB, idle temp of 32 C)
768Mb pc3200 ram
60Gb Maxtor ATA 133 7200rpm Hard Drive
WinFast TV2000 XP Expert
AOpen 16x DVD-RW (Dual Layer)
Lite-on 52x CD-RW
9in1 media card read/writer
Windows XP Pro Corporate w/SP2

I love this celeron!  For $50, it handles my video capturing and rendering quite well.  This will tide me over until I pony up to a Celeron D or Pentium.

:banana:  :banana:  :banana:

Re: 2.0Ghz Celeron o'ced at 3.0Ghz!

Reply #1
Not bad, but you still couldn't pay me to build a system with an Intel chip.. especially a Celeron.

Reply #2
I used to run my 2.4 cely at 3.6 ghz,posted 3.7ghz but then crashed.
It was ok for general web surfing and stuff but if you played any games on it it would crash after a few mins of play.
Finally after years of overclocking i've decided the hell with it and i'm just running back at the reliable 2.4 ghz.

Reply #3
Now AMD is into making budget processors. What's the deal with these Sempr0n's?  I'm assuming they follow the order of the Celeron.. a cheap alternative to the bigger, badder Athlon?

Reply #4
Quote from: Ifixyawata
Now AMD is into making budget processors. What's the deal with these Sempr0n's?  I'm assuming they follow the order of the Celeron.. a cheap alternative to the bigger, badder Athlon?

It's the new budget line to the Athlon 64's. Kinda like relationship of the duron to the athlon xp. Think of it like duron & sempr0n from amd = celeron from intel.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #5
Heh.. I had one of the first Durons ever made.. think I still have it around here somewhere. They were decent chips. If the Sempr0n really is to the A64 (beyond the simplified explanation) what the Duron is/was to the AthlonXP, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Reply #6
Quote from: dominator

It was ok for general web surfing and stuff but if you played any games on it it would crash after a few mins of play.

mine does that, and its not overclocked, so im wondering if its just a trend with celerons
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #7
No i don't think so,it works perfect when not overclocked,i can play doom3 or world of warcraft for hours without any hassles or slowdowns.
Don't believe the hype people tell you about celerons being ,for the price there awsome bang for the buck.

Reply #8
Quote from: Bird351
Heh.. I had one of the first Durons ever made.. think I still have it around here somewhere. They were decent chips. If the Sempr0n really is to the A64 (beyond the simplified explanation) what the Duron is/was to the AthlonXP, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

There are 2 different versions of the sempr0n, a socket A model, and the socket 754 model. I wanna say that Amd is close to ending Athlon XP production and using the Sempr0n as the only solution for socket A applications. i'd have to look around for the info again.
Temporarily Foxless? Ride the Bull...

Reply #9
Quote from: dominator
No i don't think so,it works perfect when not overclocked,i can play doom3 or world of warcraft for hours without any hassles or slowdowns.
Don't believe the hype people tell you about celerons being ,for the price there awsome bang for the buck.

In my book, ALL Intel chips are .. and Celerons are just sitting at the top of the cesspool. Intel lost me when they decided to pour on the BS by trying to pan MHz off as the only valid measurement of a CPU's ability. Now, I am vindicated in that they are paying dearly for that and having to phase out the P4 in favor of CPUs that do things more AMD's way, (more work per clock cycle) like the Pentium M.

My last Intel CPU was a P166MMX I eventually pushed to 250 MHz. (2.5x100) thanks to the later "Super 7" boards with the 100 MHz bus speed meant for AMD CPUs that still used the old socket. Been using AMD CPUs since the K6-2, and won't go back.

I'm sorta sad to see Socket A go, but hey.. I remember the departure of Socket 3, 5, and 7.. Socket 8 for the Pentium Pro.. Slot A for the original Athlon.. Slot 1 for the P2/P3s I occasionally had to build for customers. Think there was even Slot 2 for the original Xeons. Sockets come and go. I'm used to it.

I'm using a few AthlonXPs here, (2200+, 2300+, 2000+ laptop) so I'm sure my next upgrade will be to kiss those goodbye and move to Socket 754, 939 or something. May wait to upgrade again until dual-core CPUs have been around for awhile and most of the kinks have been worked out. My XP 2200+ does everything I want it to do right now, so I'm in no hurry to upgrade. Buying my R9700 Pro before the 9800s came out was my last bleeding-edge buy, and probably will remain the last one.

BTW.. I think Shawn brought it up, but.. a "normal" chip can act like an overclocked chip.. IF you're not good about cleaning the machines. I suggest buying a dust can and cracking open the case.. take it outside and blow everything out of it with the compressed air.  Heat is death to PCs, so make sure it doesn't have ten pounds of dust and pet hair in it every so often.

Reply #10
Not bad, but you still couldn't pay me to build a system with an Intel chip.. especially a Celeron.

LOL.....I know, I know.  You gotta believe me that Intel wasn't my preferred first build.  I'm an AMD fan myself, but what can i say?  The mobo/case (not the Thermaltake)/cd burner/
modem/keyboard/mouse/speakers/power supply were all in the barebones kit, and it was only 30 bucks after rebates. :deal:  I simply couldn't pass it up.  That being said, I knew I couldn't afford any of the DECENT offerings available from intel, so I just looked around for a cheap socket 478 chip to fill the hole until I could afford a REAL Intel CPU (read: HT).  The 2.0 Ghz celeron seemed to be capable of mediocore performance, and for $50, it was my top choice (if only I had known about mobile celerons...!). :slap:

Joe

Reply #11
Oh, I forgot to mention:

I'm not a gamer.  I'm actually pretty far from it (16mb of integrated graphics here folks, and if there was an 8mb setting, you can bet I'd be on it!).  I use my computer for work and multimedia.  The Celeron series is more than capable of holding its own outside of the 3D graphics and Gaming scene.  The high processor spead and a fast SSE2 are things that AMD don't offer in this price range, and they are both critical components to a fast and reliable video capture, mpeg encoding, mp3 ripping machine like mine.  The 600mhz bus will be put to good use when I record live TV directly to DVD. :cool:

If I wanted to play games or run lots of floating-point intensive progams, I would have definately went AMD or at least p4 HT.  :2c:

Joe

Reply #12
celeron...pfft my pentium 400mhz is more stable then them pieces of shiznit

Reply #13
I'll put my 16sec celeron up against your 26sec PII 400mhz any day brother :giggle:

Reply #14
... it was a joke.. reffering to the computer in my closet.. my p42.6 will eat yours and shiznit it 3 times..."brother"