Skip to main content
Topic: Dash Cap (Read 1259 times) previous topic - next topic

Dash Cap

Thinking about re-covering my dash. Does anyone have any experience doing this? If so what's the best brand? Know any other way to fix it?
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Dash Cap

Reply #1
I tried 1 years back in a 87 TC. I think I got it from Stock Interiors.com?? The texture wasn't a perfect match, but close. It was waaaayy better than looking than all the cracks that were in the dash. I think I used a 3M adhesive and it worked well. The average person passing by may never notice it's a cap.,,
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Dash Cap

Reply #2
Sounds good. That's the way I'll go. The attachment below is the one I was looking at.
Did you use the spray adhesive?
It should work good. I keep a dash mat on it because the summer here will probably melt it.

http://www.dashtop.com/products/dash-cover-1985-1988-ford-thunderbird-mercury-cougar-xr-7
1987 Turbo Coupe, 306, Trick Flow Track Heat heads, Comp Cam, Trick Flow Pistons, Eagle Rods, Center Force clutch, T-5, 8.8 w/373 gears, and a bunch more

Dash Cap

Reply #3
I didn't use the spray adhesive. I used a 3M product in a tube. Can't remember the exact name. I did lightly sand the back of the cap then cleaned it well. Also cleaned the dash with something to remove dirt/armor all etc. Once glued and in place I used painters tape and some small weights to hold it in place. The only part I didn't like was how it wrapped down the sides by the pillars......but again better than cracks....mine was a mess, lol.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Dash Cap

Reply #4
Mine's pretty bad too. Did you have to remove your speaker grills? I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the help. Definitely appreciated.

Dash Cap

Reply #5
I did remove the grills. While they were out I applied a silicone on the mounting taps & they actually came out easily weeks later(tested just to check). If you've never had them out be careful...Old, brittle plastic....you know how that can end up...lo.
 S O L D

Dash Cap

Reply #6
I haven't had them out. I'll see if I can push them out from under the dash. Do they have the same push in clips as the lower dash panels? By the way Thanks for the help.

Dash Cap

Reply #7
Speaker grills are held in with a couple metal clips.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Dash Cap

Reply #8
Thank you for the information. The dash cap and driver's visor are the last of the interior issues. (I hope) Then it's back under the hood.