Skip to main content
Topic: no 3-4 shift (Read 2498 times) previous topic - next topic

no 3-4 shift

I have 88 sport bird and at full throttle it wont shift from 3-4th. I have to back off the throttle and tap it before it will shift to 4th. This is a real problem when trying to go top end with other cars i cant reach top speed because i cant stay on the pedal full throttle when in 4th or it will jump down to 3rd. please help
88 sport 308 e-303, ported e7's, cobra intake, cold air, under drive pulleys, full exhaust, t5, 373's, smog pump removed, 255 pump, pressure regulator.
                        :birdsmily:

Re: no 3-4 shift

Reply #1
Is it really normal for a car to do a 3-4 at WOT?  I don't think it's a part of the stock AOD design.  I don't think my car does it.

Reply #3
Your not going to do much passing in OD anyway  ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #4
sadly its true. get a shift kit and toss in some 373s. smile big
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #5
The stock OD band and servo is not designed to handle enough HP to use OD at WOT. The Trans-Go shift kit will allow the tranny to shift into OD, but you better at least up grade the servo, or your OD band will be toast.

Reply #6
What Tom said, and also the stock input shaft might not be up to par. If your determined to have it shift into OD at WOT, install a transgo shift kit, upgrade servos, and install a hardened input shaft.
1988 Tbird Stock bottom end 306, Windsor Jr's, Explorer intake, 125 shot.
Best ET: 12.11 Best MPH: 113.8 1/4 mile