Skip to main content
Topic: 83 XR7......Why do I have a P92 in a LS trim? (Read 1945 times) previous topic - next topic

83 XR7......Why do I have a P92 in a LS trim?

XHave this really weird car. The car is marked LS. With a 5.0  which I thought XR was only turbo?Found it in harrisburg Pa with 65000 miles in MINT condition for $1000 bucks. Everything seems weird. Did a car Fax Pebble beach Ca was delivered. Stayed under 10000miles until 1992. In the trunk I found a Pen from the X. I thought all 83 California cars were the 3.8 due to lack of 5.0 used up in the Tbirds and mustangs.  Also thought there was no xr7 for 83. What is this car? Heard it may have been a Factory Demostrator or Promotional vehicle. I dunno also has a weird 1/4 vinyl roof I’ve never seen before.

Reply #1
Got a picture of the car? There was no XR7 in 83. The XR7 didn't come out till 84, at least for this generation.

Edit: See here: https://www.coolcats.net/modelyear/index.html
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
XX

This was thru a Cougar site. Had a vin decoder. Unless im a true idiot the comma should be "and". So XR7 AND 2dr coupe. Not sure figured Id run it past somebody that knows something. Do belive that top was a dealer option? Never seen another? May have to get a mira order or whatever they call it.

Reply #3
I added the turbines.....came with the 14 in rim with wire hubcaps. The tops ive seen went to the door piller??

Reply #5
All '83-'86 Cougars used a P92 code regardless of the trim. "P" is for Passenger Car and "92" is Cougar 2-Door Coupe. So that while the VIN breakdown at the Cougar Club of is correct, it's a bit deceiving.

Eric has a decent and easier to read VIN breakdown on his site.

https://www.coolcats.net/reference/vincode.html

Nice looking car BTW.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #6
I've typed your VIN into about 7 or 8 different VIN checkers.  The Ford ones say the VIN is for a 2013 Sable, LOLOLOL!

The other ones say it is in fact an 83 Cougar, but none gave a trim level.  One said the car was a 3.8 which we know is incorrect due to the 8th digit being F.

You could pony up for a Carfax or a Marti report if you're THAT curious.  You could see what the local DMV printout for your VIN says if anything, but that's a shoot.

My guess?  The VIN decoder is incorrect with regards to the trim label.

Also, that top isn't super rare.  I've seen quite a few like that over the years.
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #7
Thanks for the info. Cougars sadly fell off the map here 20 years ago from rust. I bought this car for 1400 400 extra because I felt guilty. The underside is new. The ppaint on the oil pan doesnt have a chip. Trying to value this car. It was to be a winter beater. But if the car is worth something id like to clean it up a bit. If not the pollution controls are comeing off and its going to be a 4 barrel toy. But i still want to be good to the car. Thinking $4500?? I dont know its got 68 right now. Front seats are rough.

Reply #8
Can you post a pic of the Vehicle Certification Label on the left door pillar?

Info from the 84 shop manual. I'm betting the vinyl roof code  is DS:

Reply #9
Special order codes:

Reply #10
The only "additional optional exterior nameplates" for Cougar in the 84 shop manual is LS.