Skip to main content
Topic: Let's see those subwoofers and boxes (Read 2193 times) previous topic - next topic

Let's see those subwoofers and boxes

Alright looks like I have the car audio bug right now and am looking to install a/some sub/subs into my car
Back a couple years in my 85 tbird I had 2 15s in sealed boxes and it sounded  good and loud
I don't think I want to go that crazy this time but I want something that will sound great
I'm on the fence of going with either 2 600w rms 10s or a single 1200w rms 15,  leaning towards the 15 but I'm worried about having enough space for the sub as well as keeping part of my trunk usable
I'd like to see what you guys do for your sound system setups especially what you guys have in the trunk
I'm currently running a pioneer deh80prs head unit, alpine door and package tray speakers, 4ch amp that I have to smack about half the time once I get in my car to get it to turn on but I have a 4ch sound stream amp coming for the interior speakers
Hoping the switch over to an active network setup once my new amp comes in to take full advantage of this head units capabilities
Come on guys let's see those systems
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #1
Here's some to get you started:

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?26302-Let-s-see-those-sound-systems

The last "system" I had was in my '80 t-bird, but I never got a chance to take a picture of it. I pulled it all out and it's sitting in a pile now, lol. 3 radio shack amps, a crossover, and a single 10" MTX sub. It was just a nice clean system, not a window-buster. I keep wanting to put it in my 85, but I don't want to task the pathetic stock charging system any more than necessary. If I ever upgrade to a 3g alternator, I might add a nice stereo.

Right now my 85 just has a pioneer mp3 deck, 3.5 kickers in the dash, and clarion 6x8's in the rear. Nothing to write home about. Oh yeah, I put some speakers in the doors and connected the factory harnesses to them, but never bothered to find the other end of the harness to connect it to the stereo. I think they are disconnected in the kick panels. I did this on an 87 once (fox tbird/cougars that don't have door speakers from the factory have the harness in there, but it's usually not connected). So I have door speakers in, but they aren't technically hooked up, lol.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #2
That thread had died off, I think we need some updated photos of some, I will be building my box soon, I will post up
So far I have the Clarion 9175 cd play, alpine 3331 eq, Rockford punch 60 and 4020, Jl audio 6x9 in rear deck, and going with 6.5 components in the door.  2 kenwood 10in for subs

Reply #3
Nice and thanks for that link, definitely have some ideas rolling around

I know what you mean with the charging system,  I made sure to do the 3g conversion with a new battery before putting subs in my car, I knew for a fact they would fail in short order
For  a box I'm thinking something that will use up the space in the middle of the trunk where the spare is supposed to go or towards the back seat? Idk lol
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout: