Skip to main content
Topic: 70 Karmann Ghia BODY ON floor pan resto and interior (Read 2205 times) previous topic - next topic

70 Karmann Ghia BODY ON floor pan resto and interior

we've got about 2300$ in the interior rework all in boxes ready to install but have body work to do.
its not all that bad but the typical day at the office for any VW fan.  this is the wifes daily driver we are working on.
once the inside is done along with interior color change, i will move on to exterior painting.

here is my youtube channel... on this car .

If and when you get to part 6,, i have a couple tech questions that are going to need addressed prior to wrapping up the inside.

i think with a full body rubber kit (thats what they call it) for 600$ and paint stuff at around 500$.. that should call it a wrap for this shade tree mech resto work. 
I am taking my first crack at phosphoric acid being used as a rust remover so i will be testing that out and posting the results.
The price point on "food grade" phosphoric acid is much better and since we are going to need to reduce it,,, i may end up with 2 gallons of somewhat safe to handle rust dissolving agent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-dzci8G58

Re: 70 Karmann Ghia BODY ON floor pan resto and interior

Reply #1
For some reason the YouTube video is showing unavailable.  Can you post a link or give a YouTube username so I can follow along?  Mine username is Mikey97D on YouTube also.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #2
maybe the link was occupied because i was in there as the admin updating.... sorry

Reply #3
Still says unavailable......... :dunno:
88 sport,TW heads, comp xe270hr, cobra u/Tmoss ported lower, 65 mm throttle body, under drives,smog delete,
1.7 roller rockers, cai, k&n, bbk adj regulator, 76mm Pro-m,all MSD ign. MSD dist,18° base timing, 3g alt.1 5/8 ceramic headers, 255lph walbro, 2.5" h-pipe, flowmasters, silverfox valvebody, 3.73 gear,
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc154/flipnbird/DSCF0185.jpg ( RIP : ( )

Reply #4
Yeah, it still isn't working for me either.  Using Google Chrome to view the forum.

Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #5
ok,,
so my channel name is "i fix it all" yet when you try to find it ,, its impossible.
so up at the top there is a link to our first vid,, from there you can mow on through to part 8

Reply #6
It's showing now on the first post!

Have you tried a heat gun to help soften up the adhesive?  Not sure there is anything to soften up 49 years later......

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #7
so,, we are now at a point of reverse... installing all the new things to complete the improvements and resto of lots of areas.

what i am currently stuck on is the rear window install... i mean stuck... its like the new rubber seal is just too beefy to allow the window to fully seat.  we may have to go to the germany source for the seal instead of the one from airheads.

we are on attempt 4 ,, even with vasaline on the car frame and on the glass. the rubber is flaring "out" around the window.

we are up to 33 vids so far and i will post a vid of the problem we are currently having.

here is our channel....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdC4Ud8v4mDKLvoX2wpKDBA/videos