Skip to main content
Topic: 84 Cougar rear rubber brake line alternative. (Read 1535 times) previous topic - next topic

84 Cougar rear rubber brake line alternative.

On my 84, I still have the rear break line running along the passenger side frame rail. I bought the DOT stainless braided kit for a Mustang as no one listed one for the Cougar/Tbird. The kit fit perfect on the front but the back line was for the Mustangs hard line running along the tunnel top to the top of the rear end. I dont want to relocate my existing line. Has anyone found a solution to this senerio that they want to share on what parts they used?
Thanks
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #1
I checked Classic Tube's site and it appears they make SS kits for 83-88 Birds/Cougars.  Here is the page for the four kits for the 83-84 cars:

https://classictube.com/?s=&pf_search=1&post_type=product&year_=1983&make=Ford&model=Thunderbird&ton=AllTon&duty=AllDuty&drive=AllDrive&cab=AllCab&box=AllBox

If you are ever going to go to disc brakes in the rear then get the one for the 87-88 TC's as they are most likely going to come with the correct parts for rear calipers versus drum brakes:

https://classictube.com/product/ford-thunderbird-brake-line-kit-non-v8-motors-19871988/

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #2
I'm only trying to replace the rear rubber flex line between the frame and the axle with a braided SS hose. Sorry for any confusion.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #3
I believe Classic Tube also makes SS braided lines and they have a front kit that included the rear hose you are after.  I would just call them and see if they have the kit for the 79-93 4 cylinder Mustangs as that should work.  I checked at O'Reillys and they list the same rear rubber line for a 79 4-cylinder Mustang, 93 4-cylinder Mustang, and an 84 6-cylinder or V8 Cougar.  If they have it see if they will just sell the rear line.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp