Skip to main content
Topic: 84 motor mounts (Read 2300 times) previous topic - next topic

84 motor mounts

Who is using what for performance motor mounts? All the searching I've done indicates the're unique to 84. I bought an Energy kit for a fox mustang from a guy who sold his car before he installed them,and apparently they won't fit according to my research.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

84 motor mounts

Reply #1
The 83-85 cars should use the Mustang style mount. The 86-88 cars use the goofy puck style mount.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

84 motor mounts

Reply #2
Quote from: thunderjet302;464365
The 83-85 cars should use the Mustang style mount. The 86-88 cars use the goofy puck style mount.

I love it when someone says "should"....LOL. I feel the same way as the early Fox stuff was interchangeable. Thanks.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

84 motor mounts

Reply #3
Your 84 should have the Mustang-style mounts.

When people hear "Thunderbird" or "Cougar" they never think about the earlier ones, only the 87-88.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

84 motor mounts

Reply #4
Thanks Chuck.

84 motor mounts

Reply #5
I ran the stock Fox Mustang V8 mounts from the parts store (convertible version) in my 83 with the stock K-member and mild 5.0 for years and never had an issue.  They are lower than the energy suspension ones so you gain some hood clearance.  I think its about a 1/2" and I needed it with the Vic Jr and Holley DP.  My air cleaner was the 1" drop which also helped.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

84 motor mounts

Reply #6
Back from the dead. I just finished up my replacement engine (still on the stand) and was about to install the energy mounts when I noticed the stock mounts have a locating dowel as well as the bolt but the energy mount has no locating dowel. Will this allow the engine to twist on the frame if not tight enough? I can't see it being a problem because I figure the Mustang mount has no dowels either. I'd rather know now.... not after it's in the car.

84 motor mounts

Reply #7
After an hour of research and comparing pics, I realize the guy sold me Prothane NOT Energy like he said. Sooooo, the issue is still the same BUT heights are different. I'm tempted to just put the stock ones back in. They're still in good condition.

84 motor mounts

Reply #8
What I like about the stock motor mounts is you can get them anywhere at almost any parts store and they transmit less noise. Anymore the brand I find most common is Anchor and that is what I have had in my Coupe for the last ten years or so.  Changed them the last time I put the motor in the car just because A) they are cheap and B) it would have sucked to have to have replaced one or both later down the road with the motor in the car.  Granted its not difficult to change them with the motor in the car but why do it if you don't have to.

I would say ship the Prothane units back (after all they did ship the wrong ones) and put new stock style units in the car.  If you are worried about power levels and stock motor mounts then do not worry.  The 306 made over 300 rwhp and the 331 makes considerably more than that with zero issues.  Clean up your old ones and if they pass the eyeball test then pop them back in and go on down the road.

I will say that the urethane transmission mount and the transmission cross member bushings are legit.  No sure what brand I have (bought them over 15 years ago) but they are black.  I have had the same ones in my Coupe for over fifteen years and just cleaned them up the other day (pulled the trans due to engine issues) and they look brand new.  I used these as I got tired of the rubber ones failing.  Not sure if it is the heat from the exhaust (kind close) or the road grime and the bad power steering leak the car had when I drove it daily.  Anyhow, my quick solution at the time was to install these and since the car is no longer a daily driver it doesn't have the leaks it used to.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp