Skip to main content
Topic: Wonderbird Get's Her Silver Makeup (Read 3828 times) previous topic - next topic

Wonderbird Get's Her Silver Makeup

I know it is a bit boring with all of the trim, moldings and bumpers stripped off, but this is Wonderbird coming out of the paint booth with a fresh coat of Ford Ingot Silver Metallic Clearcoat. X

Putting it all back together this week. Next, the SN95 Mustang 8.8 and the Griggs Racing subframe connectors go in. After that, the 17" Mustang OEM Bullitts and Firestone Indy 500's. The door is ajar in the pic, that is why it does not align.

This car came from Oregon and had zero rust issues, even after we pulled all of the bumpers, trim and other body parts off. The problem was, it was dinged by every car door in Oregon!
1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.

Reply #1
That looks really nice. What's next on the list after the trim is installed?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #2
Quote from: vinnietbird;461864
That looks really nice. What's next on the list after the trim is installed?

After all of the items listed at the bottom of the picture, I have to have the drivers seat re-padded (I sit lopsided) and my BBK shorty headers and duals installed. Sky's the limit thereafter.
1986 Thunderbird Elan 5.0 EFI AOD, 3.73:1 SN95 rear, 17" Mustang Bullitts w/Firestone WO Indy 500's. Future plan: 349 stroker, C9 block, forged dish pistons, Scat 9000 crank, 4340 I beam rods, ARP head/main studs, ported explorer intake, 1.72 CC RR, Vortech V2 supercharger, Mr. Freeze Meth Inj, intercooler, TFS 190 11R CNC heads (66CC), BBK shorties with 2.5" duals, 4R70W Transmission, Taurus fan.

Reply #4
Looking good!

Did the same with my Thunderbird two months ago (May). Pulled all the trim as well for a good job. Same problem though with the door dents/dings. There were 20+ on each door after almost 30 years.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #5
XXThe 8.8 is installed with part of the trim.

Reply #6
Lookin good !!!

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #7
Thanks Also took the opportunity to install new springs and shocks. It was starting to sag on one side, so the front springs are not too far behind.

The Griggs subframe connectors are leaning against a cart on the rt side of the picture. They are going in next.

Reply #8
Wow, nothing boring about fresh paint!  Looking great, keep us posted on your progress!
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #9
Getting closer.........................A lot of detail work left (grill and other trim). Still needs subframe connectors, drivers seat re-padded, duals/headers and E brake cables. That old front license frame looks like camel . Looking for a used one that hasn't been bent up.

Reply #10
Looks great!
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #11
That's an awesome looking TBird!  Love the way the wheels look, they really go good on that body style and color. Somehow the car doesn't look like an 80's car, something more modern.

Excellent job. :bowdown:

There is/was a NOS license plate frame on ebay or maybe you can fab something. I always thought the design of the frame was goofy.
tbirdregistry.com

Reply #12
Quote from: rodsterh;462028
That's an awesome looking TBird!  Love the way the wheels look, they really go good on that body style and color. Somehow the car does look like an 80's car, something more modern.

Excellent job. :bowdown:

There is/was a NOS license plate frame on ebay or maybe you can fab something. I always thought the design of the frame was goofy.

That was EXACTLY the look I was after. Painting the factory moldings the body color was an accident, a pleasant mistake. That is how most newer car moldings are, however. The color brings out the "Elan" name, which one could not see in black and the faux chrome in the moldings was painted red, ala Turbo Coupe, as it was faded The other thing was to fill up the wheel wells with the larger diameter 2006 Mustang GT rubber and wheels. I think I will drop the front end an inch or so when I do the front suspension mods, but the rear seems about right even with the new springs. The tall tires will also cut the 3.73's down a bit, which should work well with the supercharger.

Reply #13
Great job.  Love new paint.    The red stripe sort of sets it all off.

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #14
There is another silver car I really like.  Ooooooh Chuck, where are you!
tbirdregistry.com