Skip to main content
Topic: Help Please. 11 inch brake upgrade gone bad. (Read 8102 times) previous topic - next topic

Help Please. 11 inch brake upgrade gone bad.

I went by the coolcats webpage and did the 11 inch brake upgrade.  Donor parts were from 88-93 Mustang GT, 5.0. 

Swapped spindles, rotors, calipers, hoses, bearings.  Springs and Struts are not new.

The struts required washers to space correctly where it attached to the spindle.  But the real problem is the alignment.  I have an appointment to get it aligned tomorrow but I'm afraid they will just laugh and send me back home.  Any help with how I can correct the strut alignment would be great.  What would happen if I drilled out the rivet on the alignment plate on the strut mount and moved it to a different notch?  Here is a pic of the alignment of the wheel the verticle is the issue. 

if i need CC plates will these mustang ones work?  http://www.jegs.com/i/BBK+Performance+Parts/129/2525/10002/-1

X
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Reply #1
If you need CC Plates use the TBird one's from MM
87 TC
HO Swap, T5 Swap, Mach Springs, CHE Upper and Lower control arms, Mach Chin spoiler, soon to be Procharged.

:evilgrin: Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD you want to hit it but are scared of the consequences. :evilgrin:

Reply #2
I'm in a bind to get this back on the road.  I wasn't expecting downtime since the writeup sounded like this was an easy job.  This car is a daily driver so I don't have time to order from MM.  Jegs has those BBK ones in stock in my area and I can get them today and have it aligned tomorrow.  From what I understand all I need to do is elongate a hole to make the mustang CC plates work.  I however would like to save the money if I can and not use them but somehow I manage to screw up a simple brake upgrade.
84 TurboCoupe with 302 .010 over - 9.8 : 1 Forged Pistons - Edlebrock Goodies:  Aluminum Heads #6037, Intake #3821, 65mm TBI/EGR #3824/3827, Camshaft #3722 -  Interactive System & Technologies Mass Air with 24# Injectors - A9L - 3g Alternator - BBK shorties, Cat Converter H-pipe, Magniflow lers - World Class T5 1352-169 (1986, V8, WC, 3.15 3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.68) OEM Clutch Cable - 7.5 Trac Lock with 3.08 and slapper bars from 82 Mustang.

Reply #3
Wow that angle is pretty extreme, i would definitely drill out the rivet and at least move the strut all the way in
if that doesnt fix then it will at least give you an idea if the CC plates will work or not
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout:

Reply #4
Never done his swap myself, but haven't seen anybody have this problem before.

Do both wheels have the same amount of positive camber?
Was there much play between the spindle and the spindle attach bolts?

Reply #5
Jeez, that's bad. Did you use Mustang lower control arms or something? I've never seen camber issues like that arise from swapping Mustang/TC spindles in. I'd be worried about bent spindles
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #6
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;451407
Jeez, that's bad. Did you use Mustang lower control arms or something? I've never seen camber issues like that arise from swapping Mustang/TC spindles in. I'd be worried about bent spindles
Those are the two problems that sprang to my mind.

But his '84 LCAs should be the same length as Fox Mustang LCAs. Bent spindles is the only thing I can think of besides something like using fasteners from a camber adjustment cam without the came.  http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1140220,parttype,13512

Reply #7
I drilled the strut tower out and adjusted the camber in a lot.  Took it to the alignment shop and they couldn't get it into alignment.  I have ordered Fox Mustang Struts, and Fox T-bird MM CC plates.  Gonna swap out the struts and mounts, then take it back for alignment.  The spindles were not bent.  The adjustment on the strut tower was the cause of the camber issue.  I had to drill out the rivet holding the plate that allows adjustment and move it all the way in.

Reply #8
You might need to get some of the offset bolts. Basically you rotate them just so until you get the camber where you need it, then tighten them down. I've a pair that came off of a '94 or 95....
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #9
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;451407

Yeah that shouldn't happen. Should just bolt in with no alignment issues.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
I know that SN-95 control arms are the sae as ours, but I always thought that the Fox tang front control arms are shorter.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #11
I did the same upgrade with parts from an 88lx on my 84 and my alignment guy couldn't believe how close it was before he started.
84 COUGAR/90 HO, 1.7RRs, performer RPM,700DP, equal length shorties, stainless EXH ,T-5,Hurst pro-billet, KC clutch, 8.8/ 4.10s, line-lok, bla ,bla, bla.
71 COMET/289,351w heads, 12.5 TRWs, 750DP, Liberty TL, 9"/6.00s, 11.9x @112 , bla,bla,bla.

Never shoot your mouth off, unless your brain is loaded! ....I may get older, but I'll never grow up!....If you're not laughing, you're not living!  :laughing:

Reply #12
If I remember right, mine kinda did that.  It got aligned pretty good though.
Mike

Reply #13
Quote from: vinnietbird;451471
I know that SN-95 control arms are the sae as ours, but I always thought that the Fox tang front control arms are shorter.

On the '86-'88 Cougars and Birds, the SN95 arms are the same, but OP's car is an '84. The '85 and down years had the same style K member and c/a as the Fox stangs did...mounts too.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #14
Isn't it 83-86 use the Fox arms and 87/88 use the sn95 length?
1987 T-Bird TC: 5-Spd, 5-lug conv., CHE Rear CAs, '04 Cobra wheels and 13" Brakes, Vac Assist conv: '93 Cobra BB/MC & Wilwood PV, Gutted/Knived Intakes, T3 turbo, RFE6 Mani, Stinger 3" Exhaust & Oil Feed, 255HP Walbro, Kirban AFPR, RR Cam, Esslinger Cam gear and Round Tooth Conv., Gillis Boost Valve, Speedway Dual Valve Spring,  K&N, 130a 3g Alt conv., 140mph Speedo
Running Better Than Ever :burnout: