Skip to main content
Topic: Rear Defroster causes static on my radio (Read 1875 times) previous topic - next topic

Rear Defroster causes static on my radio

Hey guys, I have a non-ford problem here. My 99 grand prix has a wierd problem, whenever you turn on the rear defroster the radio gets alot of static, turn off the rear defroster and the static goes away instantly... :dunno:  Is there some kind of filter or something I can put inline to stop this?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Rear Defroster causes static on my radio

Reply #1
is it a aftermarket radio?

Reply #2
factory radio with a alpine 5 disc changer. I bought the car with the alpine in it, I think the alpine was a dealer install cause theres a manual with the alpine logo and the pontiac logo on it.. Also it uses a FM modulator, I think thats the source of my problem I have to find the modulator and try disconnecting it. Was just curious if anyone heard of a problem like this before
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #3
i have, thats y i asked if it was a aftermarket radio. i rember reading about it but i cant rember exactly what it was. i rember tho they fixed it with a filter...

Reply #4
If it's an FM-modulated changer I would look at where it patches into the factory antenna cable. You may have a poor connectioon, or the modulator itself may be picking up EM interference and re-transmitting it through the antenna.
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣