Skip to main content
Topic: Work In Progress. '88 TC (Read 10651 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Work In Progress. '88 TC

Reply #45
The check valve "rattled" very easily when I shook it while the head was off.  I forgot to check the valve cover breather but I remember cleaning it out last year.  There was quite a bit of oil when I took everything apart where it feeds in before the turbo.

Well, rattling is fine, but did you try and blow through it to make sure it shut? You could be pressurizing the crankcase. Even new, the check valves can leak.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #46
The check valve "rattled" very easily when I shook it while the head was off.  I forgot to check the valve cover breather but I remember cleaning it out last year.  There was quite a bit of oil when I took everything apart where it feeds in before the turbo.

Well, rattling is fine, but did you try and blow through it to make sure it shut? You could be pressurizing the crankcase. Even new, the check valves can leak.
I will check!  Thanks for the ideas.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #47
Unfortunately the check valve out of the crankcase is working perfectly and the breather out of the valve cover is flowing easily.  There's quite a bit of oil that came out the threads of the oil fill cap.
Not good.
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #48
Yesterday I spent some time adjusting multiple things.  I also bought a cheap oil catch can off Amazon that was delivered Tuesday.  I don't care for catch cans and the smell but this is temporary to help me diagnosis what is going on.

I plugged the vacuum line off the intake that went to the one way valve for the crankcase and put the catch can in its place.  I also tighten down my coupling into and out of the intercooler because the clamps were not tight enough and I was losing boost.  I got the boost back and adjusted the boost controller several times to get where I want it (17 psi).  I noticed I was still getting oil on the valve cover around the cap.  The oil cap has a self limiting tighten so I took a Channel lock to force it to tighten slightly more.  No more oil coming out of the cap. 

At a couple stop signs I did get a big puff of smoke from the catch can.  Not consistent at every stop but enough to make me say "Whoa where did that come from?"

The car is running very well otherwise.  Handling is improved and pleasant to drive.  I need to check the timing again maybe over the weekend.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #49
Well, if the tube from the block vent is just going to the catch can, you've basically taken out the beneficial component of the PCV system.  Yeah, you're not pushing boost pressure into the crankcase now (getting past the factory check-valve), but you're also not pulling any vacuum on it, either.

When you're coming to a stop, the puff of smoke is what the engine would naturally draw back into the combustion chamber when you let off of the gas, and the system starts pulling vacuum. Heat, oil aeration, etc cause a rise in pressure in the crankcase. That would cause your puff of smoke.
That's probably also what's causing oil to seep past the seal on your oil cap. How is the o-ring/seal on that cap?

What did you do with the fitting off of the valve cover?
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #50
Well, if the tube from the block vent is just going to the catch can, you've basically taken out the beneficial component of the PCV system.  Yeah, you're not pushing boost pressure into the crankcase now (getting past the factory check-valve), but you're also not pulling any vacuum on it, either.
After doing this experiment I am not sure boost was getting past the valve,  I am thinking putting this portion back to stock and putting the valve cover breather to the catch can.

When you're coming to a stop, the puff of smoke is what the engine would naturally draw back into the combustion chamber when you let off of the gas, and the system starts pulling vacuum. Heat, oil aeration, etc cause a rise in pressure in the crankcase. That would cause your puff of smoke.
That's probably also what's causing oil to seep past the seal on your oil cap. How is the o-ring/seal on that cap?
The seal on the bottom of the cap is a hard rubber almost felt feeling pad on the bottom of the cap.  Me over tightening he cap is using the threads compressed to seal rather than the rubber alone.

What did you do with the fitting off of the valve cover?
I left that alone.  That line goes in between the VAM and Turbo.  I am contemplating running that line to the catch can in place of the crankcase vent as I have it set now.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #51
The local Foxbody club setup a dyno day that I brought the Thunderbird to that they ran a sniffer in the exhaust so I could see the AFR number.  Between the 2 runs the AFR stayed at 12:1.
Made 189.74 HP at 5360 RPM and 226.54 ft-lbs of torque at 3570 RPM.  82°F & 52% Humidity
Considering that no big changes have been done to the engine not to shabby at the rear wheels.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #52
Got some new pictures of the car last weekend from a friend and even got some drone footage.  Pictures make it look better than it is in its paint.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #53
Who doesnt love action pics!!!!   Nice.
Mike

Reply #54
Lookin' good Mikey!

Reply #55
Looks awesome!
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #56
I have not updated this thread in 8 months.

Last year summer/fall (2020), I experienced over heating where I found only one of my electric fans was running.  I did the KOEO with the jump wire in the diagnostic port under the hood to confirm relays were okay and I was getting voltage to the motor(s).  I replaced the one motor and for good measure changed the thermostat to a Stant SuperStat (Stant 45820 SuperStat 192 Degrees Fahrenheit Thermostat) after doing some searching on TurboFord. 
Here's a link to Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003B1MQHA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The car runs well without overheating now.  Still gets pretty hot on the highway with the A/C running according to the factory temperature gauge so that leads me to the next step of part collecting. 
1. '94-04 Mach 1 Chin Spoiler  (plus it looks cool to replace the small chin spoiler on it currently)
2. Scott Rod Fabrication radiator to bumper cover - Awesome customer service btw

There were other plans for this year that got shuffled back.  I ordered frame connectors from Global West back in late January with a promise to deliver by the end of February.  They missed the shipping date and I had to pester for an update that they missed again with more pestering for another date which, guess what, they missed again without any updates. 
I pulled the plug on my order.  The lack of communication is what made give up on them and I will not order anything from them again.

Decided I will have to have a set made myself which Andrew said isn't too difficult out of pipe.  Maybe others have another idea on here?

3. Torque Box Reinforcements
4. AEM Wideband kit
5. Walbro 255 lph pump
6. E6 Manifold - ceramic coated black  (no benefit other than easier to assemble ahead of time the next component)
7. T3, water cooled, .48 a/r and a rebuild kit

Oh, and I found a set of '94 SN95 front spindles but that is for the future in a year or two.

I have to admit that I have looked at my 351W sitting on the stand more than a few times and thought why bother with this 2.3......I mean a part of my '79 Bird could live again and torque everywhere....but the handling would not be as good.....

Saving pennies for a FMIC, injectors, and PimpX. 
I won't wait to install the FMIC, Turbo and etc before the PimpX.  I think it should be fine between the fuel pump and adjustable frp.?.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #57
The car runs well without overheating now.  Still gets pretty hot on the highway with the A/C running according to the factory temperature gauge so that leads me to the next step of part collecting. 
1. '94-04 Mach 1 Chin Spoiler  (plus it looks cool to replace the small chin spoiler on it currently)
2. Scott Rod Fabrication radiator to bumper cover - Awesome customer service btw

The Mach 1 chin spoiler isn't really any taller than the factory chin spoiler. I didn't notice any difference in cooling when I installed mine, but I also didn't have A/C.

Is Scott Rod making one specifically for our cars? I've been looking at making one myself, but I just haven't gotten to it. If it fits our cars how I would like, I'd be glad to buy one.

I don't know if it would help much in your case, but I've pulled the fan assembly off, unbolted the radiator, laid it back and used the hose to knock a bunch of grime out of the A/C condenser and then the radiator. Your car appears to be very clean so it may not be an issue with yours.

Decided I will have to have a set made myself which Andrew said isn't too difficult out of pipe.  Maybe others have another idea on here?

There are a handful of threads talking about that on here. Gumby did a nice set on his car in his build thread. He did his a little differently than most, but it will give you a great visual of what needs to be done. Andrew does sell the seat braces for the connectors (that Chuck W designed) that makes a decent difference. Not to bad mouth Andrew, but he really should be the last person you go to for tech. He hasn't installed a single part he makes on his own car.

Oh, and I found a set of '94 SN95 front spindles but that is for the future in a year or two.

Buy them and stash them. They're getting harder and harder to find.

Saving pennies for a FMIC, injectors, and PimpX. 
I won't wait to install the FMIC, Turbo and etc before the PimpX.  I think it should be fine between the fuel pump and adjustable frp.?.

Doing the turbo, FMIC and everything will be fine. I did a log header, hybrid turbo and a bunch of other  on a stock LA3 with a fuel pump and adjustable regulator. It wasn't ideal, but I didn't have any issues other than getting greedy with boost and popping head gaskets. I would heavily suggest getting the E6 ported by Steve Schlodes or BoPort, and trying to do a .63 turbine housing. Porting the E6 will basically allow the .63 to spool like a stock E6 and .48 would spool. It'll pull much better in the upper RPMs as well.

Don't forget to budget injectors. The PimpX runs high impedance injectors where as our cars are low. Our injectors are barely good enough for our cars in stock form as it is.
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #58
Tbird232ci - I am not that good with all the quotes!!!! :bowdown:

ScottRod is making the underhood cover for our cars and called me to check on which year I had.  He said the latch location or shape changed depending on the year 83-88. 
http://scottrodfab.com/shop/index.php?id_product=186&controller=product

The spoiler is about 1/4" taller than the one that is on my car and that may be do to the bottom of the original being ground off from all the years.  The wider wrap around area should benefit too.

Thanks for reminding me to clean  out the fins of the evap and radiator.  I am going to hold off on that for when I get the FMIC since I will need to take the bumper / nose off for that.

Thanks for the tip to look at Gumby's thread for the frame connectors.  That thread is a black hole of time.

I bought that SN95 spindles and stashed them away a couple months ago.  I have been watching the market for a while and the prices for the spindles are climbing.  These were $100 directly off the car with the caliper and rotors along with the struts that I am not sure if I will keep any of the extras.

The extra E6 that i bought has a stich weld repair.  Not sure I should send that one out to be ported.  If I can get the T6 to spool as quickly at the IHI with the .48 that would be perfect for me at this stage.

Tbird232ci, Thank you for all the help and knowledge.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #59
Funny about mentioning the car is clean.  It's been a New England car it's entire life and has some scars from it  Started off with the original owner in Massachusetts and then to my Step mother and Dad.  My Step mom used to commute into the Bronx as a school teacher with the car for a few years.  About 2008 when gas prices went up and her back started hurting from the clutch, she got a Prius for the tax deduction and save on fuel. There's dings on the car and some tree branches fell on it in 2011 from Sandy(?) so it has some dents.  It's in good shape but no where near a garage queen.

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300