Skip to main content

Poll

How do you feel about non-stock paint colors on T-Birds/Cougars?

Total Members Voted: 41

Topic: Opinion poll: Non-stock paint colors on T-bird/Cougar (Read 4902 times) previous topic - next topic

Opinion poll: Non-stock paint colors on T-bird/Cougar

I suppose this could just as easily go into Body/Appearance, but I don't see it as a help topic that anyone can get any real use out of, except maybe me in my own screwed up borderline-insane way.. :wtf: :hick: just an opinion poll.

Since I started thinking about making a project car out of this '88 'Bird, I've been thinking about getting it repainted in something other than twilight blue. I already have one 'Bird I'm keeping in stock color(s), so this time my mind wandered a bit. I'd really like to have a dark green car.. but it isn't a stock '88 color from what I've seen so far.

I happen to have a couple cans of metallic spray paint around for another non-car-related project, but it's car paint. (that DupliColor truck and SUV paint, anyway) That got me thinking.. one is deep jewel green, and the other is pewter. I even did a test-spray on a plastic lid just to see what they'd look like together. I like it. I think I'd even go so far as to do it, once I could afford it.

That got me curious to know how you guys react when you see cars you like with paint they didn't originally come with.

Re: Opinion poll: Non-stock paint colors on T-bird/Cougar

Reply #1
My car is Honda Asturias Gray (bet you didn't see that coming...)

Reply #2
I am torn between repainting mine stock and doing something different.  Right now I'm leaning towards stock bacause I haven't seen anything that I would like to do so far.
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #3
That's why I'm casually looking for a 20th.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #4
I'm all for it. :) Though my colour had the name Ford on it, I've seen some very nice colours on Fox birds and cougars. Didn't someone have one with Viper GTS blue and silver?

Reply #5
I'm a radar blue fan myself.. lol

Reply #6
Here's one I bet nobody has.....

Reply #7
Yep, you're right..

Although, I did consider color-change green/purple paint instead of the deep jewel green metallic I'm thinking of, for this other Bird..  :wtf:

Reply #8
I hope you're keeping that pretty blue bird in the stock color.  Be glad you're not cursed with pooop-red like me.

Reply #9
Not repainting my Regatta Blue 'Bird.. the one I've had since summer. Aside from scratches all over the hood and the damage below the bumper strip, the rest of the paint is in good condition. I MIGHT do the underside (below the strip) in dark charcoal, once the doors are repaired and the rest of that area is cleaned up.. but most of the car will remain Regatta Blue.

The car I want to repaint is the one that I'm bringing here from Fort Lauderdale. It is Twilight (dark) Blue, and the clearcoat is shot all over the top of the car. (which is something I see on a lot of dark blue Fords) That one is the one I'm considering painting Deep Jewel Green (a mid-90s Ranger color) along with a Pewter-type color. (mostly gray, with a little bit of gold to it) The Pewter spray paint I have now is a decent match for the color of that car's interior. (it's medium gray on the leather) The interior needs to be redone, but I don't want a different color for it.

If I can get a pic of an '88 T-bird LX and a pic of the two colors I have in mind, maybe I'll ask one of the Photoshop gurus here if they'd combine the two for me.

Reply #10
ill tell you what, if i was going to all the trouble to change the color on my car there is no way id use a color that the car actually came in factory. there are plenty of nice factory colors but for the effort, id do something the car couldnt be bought in.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #11
So tempted to say I was a ricer in a former life! :rice:  :rollin:

My car is dark blue with a little flip of purple. Mostly cuz the paint was free but I like it. :p

1987 cougar XR7 347 stroker FRP BOSS block 328rwhp 10.89 1/4mile @126mph ..so far..

2005 F150 5.4 vortec supercharged @15psi water methenol injected 450rwhp 14.0@98mph on 22's

Reply #12
Obviously I'm for it since I did it. My car was originally Black and I struggled for a bit about repainting it that color way back when I did it. Basically came down to the upkeep of Black paint that turned me off....I love the way it looks, just hate the upkeep so I went with the blue. It was funny though when I was showing people my spray test panel of the color I was going to do.....about 90% thought it would look terrible on the Bird. Too bright a color was the consensus. Told them to have faith...it will look great I said. After it was done however all the naysayers loved it and to this day it's usually the first thing people compliment about the car when I go to cruise nights and such.

Reply #13
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
Here's one I bet nobody has.....

And i'm sure mine's original also :

Reply #14
STOCK COLORS  We need to keep them stock to show what was available in the day :giggle: