Skip to main content
Topic: Major brake problem - car won't move (Read 1954 times) previous topic - next topic

Major brake problem - car won't move

Hey board.
I've had my 88 Thunderbird since 2002. In the last couple of years I have spent most of the time in Germany (car is in Denmark) and didn't have time to look after the car which was parked in my parents carport.
Somehow I was stupid enough to park the car with the parking brake, which seemingly has rusted the breaking shoes (it is a V8). The car won't move at all now!!!
Having brake drums makes it difficult to inspect the brake mechanism.
Since the car is in Denmark in Europe (where it literally is one of a kind), qualified US-car mechanics are rare.

So far it has been suggested that it could be the either the brake shoes having rusted onto the drums, or that the cables have been frozen. If I cut the cables it will be very hard to obtain new ones here (my T-Birds are the only two Fox-bird in the country).

Any other suggestions? All feedback would be appreciated (the Internet is the only source of T-Bird info for me, as noone knows this car around here).

Best regards
Chris

Re: Major brake problem - car won't move

Reply #1
Chris, it's probably a little of both. You can try spraying the lines with WD40 or equivalent. Hit every exposed part of the cable, every junction, and every moving part. There's a junction under the driver's seat that's spring-loaded...that one especially. Soaking for a good 24 hours is recommended. If that doesn't help then yes, it's probably the shoes have rusted to the drums. If you get the rear of the car up in the air and remove the rims, you should just need to smack the drums with a hammer to loosen them up. Then install the rims, drop the car and see if that does the trick. This all may take a few tries to get going. Let us know how that works out.

Reply #2
That is good news. I have plenty of WD40, and if I only need a hammer to loosen the brakes it is within my technical abilities... :giggle:
Thanks for the input - it is really appreciated.

Chris

Reply #3
Rudbech!  Where the hell have you been?  Aint seen you on the boards in forever!  I thought something bad had happend to you.  Good to see you again. 

Have you not tried breaking the shoes loose using the engine?

Reply #4
Good news...
I've been working on the brakes today, and after some banging on the drums (the cables were OK) and then making the rest with the engine, the car actually drives.... GREAT!!!!!!  :banana: Wow, what a feeling.
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Dare:
I've been around.... studied a semester in Southern Germany, found myself a German girlfriend, made my mandatory traineeship by DaimlerChrysler in Germany and so on. Not much time for my good old Thunderbird. The car was parked close the the wall, so it was quite hard to wash it thoroughly - see a DirtyBird at the pic...