Skip to main content
Topic: Lost, but won anyway (Read 4897 times) previous topic - next topic

Lost, but won anyway

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6240&item=2494998142&rd=1

My only decent chance at a parts car, since I'm pretty much broke right now. Oh well, hopefully this person is a fan of the cars and not just buying it to beat it up or give it to their kid or something.

Sorry, just needed to vent. :mad:

I suppose this should've been titled "my first auction loss". I've done plenty of selling, and a little bit of buy-it-now buying.

Re: Losin' my first auction

Reply #1
OK, who was the one wanting to tow it to Iowa? Ugh. *raises an eyebrow at Amooset*

Reply #2
Hope this "allmysurplus" guy turns out to be a deadbeat bidder.

Reply #3
Well, 5 beers into this and I'm still ready for blood.. lol.

Reply #4
So what happend?  You run out of money or the guy snake you right at the end of the action?  (pretty much my style)  When ever I want something and its still cheap I'll wait till the last 30 seconds and bid like $500 or $1000.  Just hope like hell no one bids very high in those last 30 seconds.

Reply #5
Yeah, they jumped in in the last few seconds and bid more than I could manage. I had given up at $120, but in talking to the seller in Email he had told me that he wanted me to get the car, since we'd been talking about it all week and he knew how badly I could use all the parts for my project.. so I bid up another $10. Then a third person came in at the last minute and put it beyond reach.

$150 (the final selling price) doesn't sound like much, but right now I'm unemployed and only have about $31 to my name. Had to ask for a loan from a family member just to be able to offer $120-130, not to mention the cost of transporting it 180 miles to where I live. I'd been trying to whip up some more money with some sales of my own, like the C6 tranny I posted about.. (I was promised half the money from that, by the friend who owns it) but nothing came quick enough.

I doubt I'll find another good source of parts like that, at that price, anytime soon.

I think what annoys me most is that I watched that like a hawk all week.. (I'd say a good 200+ of those page views are mine) traded about a dozen Emails with the guy about the car, about my project, and about how to get it here from Fort Lauderdale.. but still lost it in a heartbeat. I'm not used to this long drawn-out auction .. if I've ever bought anything on there, it's been a buy-it-now. I'm really hoping this buyer turns out to be a deadbeat.. the seller said he'd let me know if the buyer bails.

I tried to be a gracious loser and let both other bidders know about coolcats, if they're fans of the body style.. but I still needed to vent somewhere.

Reply #6
That sucks, I hate losing auctions and usually end up paying twice as much as I should because of it ($32 USD for illuminated door locks :mad: )

We could all email the guy death threats to make him back out of the deal  :evilgrin:

:macgun: Ebay is evil anyway, it makes you spend money you dont have on stuff you usually dont need
1980 birds X 3, 1982 bird, 1984 XR7, 1988 TC

Reply #7
you know what i cant stand...it makes sense to me to hold off untill the last min. people that bid out their high bid or they get in a g match with someone 5 days before the end of tha auction.  do these people actually win anything? all they accomplish is forcing the price up.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #8
The story *might* not be over yet.. details as I get 'em..

If this last email is just false hope, I'm gonna need more than six beers tonight.. heh.

Reply #9
Get the address of the guy from the seller and steel the car once he gets payed for it!  :D

We could all email the guy death threats to make him back out of the deal

I got into a bidding war over a set of lowering springs for my stang.  I bid $200 on them and at the very last posible second some  outbid me!  and got them for $201!  Whats funny,  later on I saw those same springs from Summit for $198+ Summit ships for free.  That guy ended up spending $231 all together for his set of Used springs!  Hahahaha!  So I sent him a link to Summit just to piss him off!    (of course I ended up paying ed near $300 for my Eibach Prokit springs.  But they was new and Eiback makes good stuff.

Reply #10
Before you take the joke any further, keep in mind that I sent both other bidders a message that said they could get T-bird and Cougar info from CoolCats.. so they very well could find their way in here. :p

Reply #11
Quote from: shame302
you know what i cant stand...it makes sense to me to hold off untill the last min. people that bid out their high bid or they get in a g match with someone 5 days before the end of tha auction.  do these people actually win anything? all they accomplish is forcing the price up.

I agree completely.... If I want something and it ain't over my max bid, the sniper will blast em in the last few seconds...  :macgun:

Reply #12
Well, it sounds like the car is mine if I can get it here. The winning bidder decided he didn't want to go through the same trouble I'll be going through to get it out of Fort Lauderdale. (I live 180 miles away) Now to figure out how would be best to move it.. can't really afford towing, and I'm not comfortable pulling anything with my own car. The other car runs, just not well. The seller thinks it needs engine work or something.. I think it just might be a load of bad gas and a dirty fuel filter. (he's let it sit for quite awhile) I think I could drive it back, but then there's the problem of a tag.

Reply #13
I agree completely.... If I want something and it ain't over my max bid, the sniper will blast em in the last few seconds...

Best way I've found,  have the bid all ready to go in another window so all you have to do is comfirm it at the last posible second.

Reply #14
great...lol, now were all gonna be snaking each other for tbird sh@ on ebay... :slap:
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~