Skip to main content
Topic: 4.6L DOHC into 88 TC (Read 5576 times) previous topic - next topic

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

I know there was a project a year or more ago that was eventually given up... to put a 5.4 into an 88 FoxBird.

I've read a lot of articles etc. of people putting 4.6L DOHC in Fox body Mustangs.

Anyone know of a 4.6L DOHC being put in an 88 TC and fitting it under the OEM hood? 

I REALLY would like to do that swap.
1988 Black Turbo Coupe
1989 Fiji Blue Chrysler Conquest
1990 Silver Lincoln LSC MKVII
2003 Black Mercury Marauder - S/C
1967 Green Ford Fairlane
:burnout:

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #1
32VFoxBird was the one, but IIRC, it sat too tall for a stock hood?
1987 TC

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #2
Quote from: HAVI;274684
32VFoxBird was the one, but IIRC, it sat too tall for a stock hood?

He was also doing a 5.4 which is, I believe, taller than the 4.6.  I was reading an article on line (Car Craft I think) where they put a 4.6 DOHC in a 60's era Mustang and spaced the k member down a bit so it all fit under the hood.  I know they make tubular k members for Fox bodies for either 4.6 or 5.0.  Just wondering if that k member is designed so the 4.6 will sit low enough in the car to fit under the hood.

Was hoping someone better than I had already been down this road and could fill me in.
1988 Black Turbo Coupe
1967 Green Ford Fairlane

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #3
im thinking it ~could~ fit under the stock hood. hell a 5.4 can fit under a stock sn95 hood.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #4
spacing the k member for clearance would work, then you have to make up the difference with the suspension. when i was doing mine i went with the AJE 4.6 into fox k member and would still recomend that.

~John~

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #5
Quote from: shame302;274687
spacing the k member for clearance would work, then you have to make up the difference with the suspension. when i was doing mine i went with the AJE 4.6 into fox k member and would still recomend that.

Shame,

Have you actually done this?  Do you have a 4.6 in an 88 Thunderbird?
1988 Black Turbo Coupe
1967 Green Ford Fairlane

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #6
Nope, Bailed on it last min. for the mustang (Halfbreed). Halfbreed IS basically the tbird but its all in a Y2K mustang body instead. Had 95% of my parts to do it. Just needed to build it. Not a big deal really provided you have everything you need, It's just involved. TONS of modular 4.6 DOHC into fox info on the web.

~John~

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #7
There is a guy in Brooklyn NY that has one-4.6 liter in a 1988T/C no spacing of the K-member needed. They used a mustang k-member for the install( SN-95). They also used the hydrobrakes from the mustang because the T/C master cylinder was too long.

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #8
Quote from: kendoo130;274764
There is a guy in Brooklyn NY that has one-4.6 liter in a 1988T/C no spacing of the K-member needed. They used a mustang k-member for the install( SN-95). They also used the hydrobrakes from the mustang because the T/C master cylinder was too long.

Ok... did they manage to fit it all under the OEM hood with no clearance issues?  Was it the DOHC?
1988 Black Turbo Coupe
1967 Green Ford Fairlane

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #9
It was under the stock hood(88 T/C hood). the only thing they had a problem with was the T/C master cylinder. The car still had power steering and A/C. It was a SOHC. I haven't seen this car or owner in about 12-13 years. I do however speak to the mechanic that actually did the swap.

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #10
I wish I could give a definite answer, but I used a Sullivan intake with a carb. I know the hood closed without the carb on. :)
1979 Ford Fairmont
[/B]
5.0L/4R70W/8.8"/5-lug/3" Exhuast

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #11
Quote from: kendoo130;274812
It was under the stock hood(88 T/C hood). the only thing they had a problem with was the T/C master cylinder. The car still had power steering and A/C. It was a SOHC. I haven't seen this car or owner in about 12-13 years. I do however speak to the mechanic that actually did the swap.

Could you get me a contact email address for that mechanic? 

Do you know if the car was an Auto or did they do a Manual trans?
1988 Black Turbo Coupe
1967 Green Ford Fairlane

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #12
Quote from: 32VFoxBird;274813
I wish I could give a definite answer, but I used a Sullivan intake with a carb. I know the hood closed without the carb on. :)

You were working with a 5.4L weren't you?  I remember following your build. 

I am hoping that the aftermarket K member would take into account some of the engine height and locate it slightly lower in the car.
1988 Black Turbo Coupe
1967 Green Ford Fairlane

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #13
With an AJE K member and the hydroboost setup you "should" be able to fit under a stock hood. If you want power brakes you will need hydroboost. I didn't actually do it in the tbird so i can't say for sure but im pretty sure it will fit without putting spacers between the k member and body. I was prepared to do si if need be though. No way was i running anything other than a stock turbocoupe hood......

~John~

4.6L DOHC into 88 TC

Reply #14
Quote from: shame302;274817
With an AJE K member and the hydroboost setup you "should" be able to fit under a stock hood. If you want power brakes you will need hydroboost. I didn't actually do it in the tbird so i can't say for sure but im pretty sure it will fit without putting spacers between the k member and body. I was prepared to do si if need be though. No way was i running anything other than a stock turbocoupe hood......

Do you still have the K member?
1988 Black Turbo Coupe
1967 Green Ford Fairlane