Skip to main content
Topic: EFI 300 I6 plus forced induction (long post) (Read 15082 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: EFI 300 I6 plus forced induction (long post)

Reply #30
Quote from: MasterBlaster
Ah, yes... An exercise in creative thinking (uncommon swap)

Ahem... "it's a waste of time/can't be done/are you insane"  :rollin:

Actually, you're quoting my old thread on it.. not Haystack's.

Reply #31
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
I'm thinking the same.....

But seriously have you researched a computer system to run this beast??? If not possibly a Super Coupe EEC could be adapted since it works with a boosted engine and large injectors(30-36lb depends on year). It would require a bunch of re-wiring but it could be done.

The SC EEC was already mentioned, yes.. and that's about the size injector we've discussed elsewhere. (30-36) If not, some custom EFI setup might've been in the plans. I don't plan on doing this until my financial situation is vastly improved, which I'm working on changing. Also not going to happen until the V8 Bird is up and running again.

So which part were you going for? The "are you insane" or "waste of time" or "can't be done"? :p

Reply #32
Actually, you're quoting my old thread on it.. not Haystack's.
Well, I wasn't sure who kept the same screen names over here, but I remembered the thread.  :dunno:
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #33
Who else would *want* this name after I've used it for so long? :p

Reply #34
Interesting.. there's talk over on FTE about using the rockers from a 3.8.. although they're wanting the 1.73/1.8 rockers.

Reply #35
OK, thread was almost out of sight but not out of mind.

So CoolCats lists a 1.6 rocker for the 3.8.. but two different people claim they're 1.73s. I don't know what to say on that one. If they're 1.73s, and they work on the 300 with only minor machining, I guess I may have to swipe 'em off my 3.8 when time comes for the swap.

Tom never answered which part he was agreeing with, so I'm going to guess the "are you insane?" part. :D

Been thinking a lot about K-members lately. I've seen quite a few well-worn Fairmonts running around town lately, that could possibly be sources of an I6 K-member. Does anyone think there's a chance one of these K-member companies (or even a decent local welding shop, I know one place where my dad used to be a friend of the owner) could/would do a custom (tubular, etc.) I6 K-member? I remember someone (Shame302, I think) mentioning in another thread that one place asked him how much he wanted an engine dropped with a custom K-member.. but of course that was a V8 K-member.. 'cause I'm the only insane one that wants an I6 in a T-bird. :p

Anyway.. some of the other conditions of doing this are finally starting to budge in better directions. The absolute worst of my financial pit of desperation is coming to an end.. and the dark blue T-bird is much closer to operational. Yeah, the I6 project is still a LONG way off.. but now I don't feel quite so stupid thinking about it.

Reply #36
maybe you could get a 5.0 supercharger and convert it using a custom intake for the i-6. I really would be willing to help you in anyway that you need it. If you get yours to work, I might go the same route.

*edit*thinking about it, if a 300 inline fits, and a v-8 fits, dosent that mean that a v-12 will fit?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #37
Well, when the time comes, I will probably contact the Kenne Bell people and ask them if they could adapt their Jeep 4.0 I6 kit to a Ford 4.9L.. but I guess anything's possible.

That would be nifty if someone else found a point to copying what I'm trying to do.. even if it's not for the same reasons I'm doing it. Of course, from the many angles, it probably does make more sense for most people to "just put a 5.0 in it".. but now I have a 5.0 T-bird, and I'd like to indulge my oddness a little bit on the other Bird.

EDIT for an edit: I suppose it would depend on what V12. I don't know much about any existing V12, so I couldn't help ya there. I think the I6 is going to be tight, but it should work. I'm more worried about that 10 inch deck height and what not. I'd rather keep a stock hood if at all possible.

Reply #38
So CoolCats lists a 1.6 rocker for the 3.8.. but two different people claim they're 1.73s

Make that 3 people.  They are in fact 1.73:1 STOCK!  At least from 88 on back they were.  The latest ones might be different, but I doubt it.....
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #39
Well, this is the part in question: http://www.coolcats.net/tech/general/v6.html

ROCKER ARMS
You can use roller rocker arms from the 5.0 V8--they'll work, and sometimes can be bought in sets of 12 instead of 16. Since the stock ratio is 1.6 you should use this ratio in roller rockers as well.

Reply #40
Like I said, I knew a guy with a 300 in an '82 Capri/Mustang ization, and I know he was too stupid to build a custom crossmember. It fit in the car with the stock hood... well, it was a stock Capri hood on a Mustang (which, as it turned out, made it about 3" too long owing to the Capri's upright grille versus the '82 Mustang's laid back grille).

Believe me, if I had a garage and the time i would steal this idea right out from under you :D You got me thinking bigtime, and I do think it could be done fairly easily and inexpensively with little more than a wrecked SC for parts. You could get the M90, injectors, electronics, etc from the TC. You'd have to make up a bracket to hold the M90, and you'd have to make up some plumbing. Of course, you'd also have to come up with a way to stick that 300 in there as well :D A mild performance rebuild (including forged pistons) and some creative porting, a larger throttle body and custom cam and you could probably use the stock induction system. Just think, you could even use a 5-speed tranny, since 2WD 300, 5-speed trucks are a dime a dozen.

You'd end up with a turbine smooth, near bulletproof, 300+ horsepower, ungodly torquey monster for not much more $$ than a similarly built 5.0, but it would be way more unique. I want to do this in a big way!
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #41
ROCKER ARMS
You can use roller rocker arms from the 5.0 V8--they'll work, and sometimes can be bought in sets of 12 instead of 16. Since the stock ratio is 1.6 you should use this ratio in roller rockers as well.

http://www.harlandsharp.com/bolton3.htm

3.8 Liter V6 Ford
PART # RATIO  APPLICATION
S4018 1.8:1 3/8  Bolt  3.8 V6 Ford
S4018A 1.8:1 3/8  Bolt            3.8 V6 Ford  adjustable

S4173 1.73:1 3/8  Bolt  3.8 V6 Ford
S4173A 1.73:1 3/8  Bolt  3.8 V6 Ford  adjustable
Includes pedestals & bolts
Bolt-On application
Utilize a roller valvetrain without the hassle of machine work
Part # S4018 increases ratio for more performance
        * 1.73:1 stock ratio
-- 05 Mustang GT-Whipplecharged !!
--87 5.0 Trick Flow Heads & Intake - Custom Cam - Many other goodies...3100Lbs...Low12's!

Reply #42
i heard that most v-6's have 1.6 rocker arms, I dont really know though. If you do get a super for a jeep, you might want to go with lower ratio because of the boost.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #43
By all means, "steal it out from under me".. heh. I'm not looking to be unique, just unusual. I mean, it's not like we're fighting over the last 300 on the planet or anything. :p

BTW, I'm not doubting the rocker thing. 1.6, 1.73, I don't know either way so I can't say anything about it. All I'm thinking is that, if it really IS 1.73, someone might wanna mention it to Eric as a possible correction. I'm mainly concerned with the site being accurate.

Reply #44
Quote from: Thunder Chicken
Like I said, I knew a guy with a 300 in an '82 Capri/Mustang ization, and I know he was too stupid to build a custom crossmember. It fit in the car with the stock hood... well, it was a stock Capri hood on a Mustang (which, as it turned out, made it about 3" too long owing to the Capri's upright grille versus the '82 Mustang's laid back grille).

I forgot to address this earlier. It's not that I think I absolutely would NEED a custom K-member. It's that I'd like to A) be able to get a tubular K-member if possible, and B) have the option open of getting a little extra hood clearance in the process.

Awww, I had five stars for the first time on a thread, and it's already sinking. :p