Skip to main content
Topic: V6 to turbo 4 (Read 2161 times) previous topic - next topic

V6 to turbo 4

i wondering if it would be possible to switch out my 6 for a turbo 4 and how difficult it would be. Also when switching out a motor do i need the same computer i use for the or one thats made for that specific motor?

Re: V6 to turbo 4

Reply #1
what year is your V6?

its not *very* hard, but youll still have some work to do to get it to work

youll need the wiring harness, and computer, along with the engine, and motor mounts
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #2
figures i  would need all that junk lol

Reply #3
Plus you'll need the 4cyl tranny as all but the C4 are different than the v6/v8 versions. Even with a C4 you would need the 4cyl bellhousing and they are getting very hard to find.

Reply #4
its an 1985 with about 77 thousand miles on it. so it would be a better idea to swap it out with an 8 then?

what about the turbo coups what motor to they have seeing how ive never seen one up close,

Reply #5
turbo coupes have the turbo inline 4 as well as the 1984 to 1986 XR7's. It would prolly be easier to pick up a whole car and gut it for parts. Then send it off to the junk yard. Just check coolcats.net in the tech section to see what kinds of things that you can use/ do.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #6
Quote from: UnForGiveN
its an 1985 with about 77 thousand miles on it. so it would be a better idea to swap it out with an 8 then?

what about the turbo coups what motor to they have seeing how ive never seen one up close,

It would be the same amount of work to swap in a 2.3T as it would a 5.0.....just figure out what you want to do.....

The TurboCoupes have the 2.3T 4 cyl....
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #7
Quote from: UnForGiveN

'88 Turbo Coupe intercooled 2.3... This is my red 5 speed TCs engine bay...

All '87-'88s had the intercooler, '83-'86 did not...

V6 to turbo 4

Reply #8
Will the '88 TC engine harness plug into the body harness on an '88 V6 car?
I've got the complete car to take all that I'd need off of....
The donor and the recipient car are both '88.

I know it sounds kinda bass-ackward to go from V6 to a 2.3, but I can't seem to find the V8 I want, and this engine is very likely a runner...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6