Skip to main content
Topic: v6 to v8 possiblke swap (Read 1729 times) previous topic - next topic

v6 to v8 possiblke swap

Hey I have been getting flamed alittle bit on a mustang board, so I figured that I would come back home  ;) . I have a freind with a v-6 mustang 1984, it has a blown head gasket and slipping tranny. He was looking to swap in another v-6. He says that it is carbed. I have been talking to him about the 5.0 upgrades that I had planned for my car, and he asked me to try and help him out. the car would be a perfect canidate. It only costed $50, perfect body paint and all, and I think that it would pretty killer with around 200 hp. He says that he would be happy with a stock S.O. engine. So basically it would be nice to have efi, but he would go carbed if it was cheaper and easier. I just need to know what is diffrent between the mustang and cougar 5.0 swaps.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Re: v6 to v8 possiblke swap

Reply #1
The 3.8 Stangs were CFI in '84, he probably just thinks it has a carb... There is little difference in swapping a 5.0 in a 3.8 Stang than a 3.8 CFI Bird or Coug.

Reply #2
how about the harness wiring?
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #3
If it is CFI and you swap in a 5.0 CFI, most of the wiring should be the same('84-'85 AOD Stangs were also CFI). Would probably just need the engine harness and corresponding EEC. If you get a SEFI 5.0 from a Stang, Bird or Coug then you would use its complete engine/computer harness. If you get a SEFI 5.0 from any other vehicle(including a HO from a LSC Lincoln) you'll still need a Stang/Bird harness to wire it up(they are the only ones that readily fit into a Fox chassis)