Skip to main content
Topic: v6 to v8 throttle cable question (Read 1617 times) previous topic - next topic

v6 to v8 throttle cable question

For those of you who swapped out a v6 to a v8, did you change the throttle cables? They are obviously different, but one of the three on the 87 v8 goes into the fender well and then I can't trace it. I'm not sure where it goes from there.

What did you guys do with this? Any help would be great.

Reply #1
fender
that one goes to the cruise.  just because yours is an 88 might maket it interchangeable to the 5.0EFI throttle body cause its longer than the 87 and earlier cables.

You already know where the other two cables go obviously.

Reply #2
I'd bet the 5.0 Fox Stang cables are the same thing.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
The 88 V6 throttle cable and cruise cable have different ends than the 88 V8 cables. I had to swap both of mine out for the V8 ones when I did my swap.
1988 Thunderbird
306 HO w/ A9P processor
AOD w/ Transgo Reprogrammer
Full Digital Dash w/ twin Cyberdyne A-pillar gauges 
245/50/16 Tires on Snowflakes
Engine swap - CA smog compliant

Reply #4
I didn't see if you posted it..... is this is an efi conversion or are you putting in a carbed V-8 ?

The 5.0 CFI throttle cable from 83-85 T-Bird/ Cougars works great on V-8 carb applications. Even works on 460 swaps.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #5
if you are going to  use a carb.
i found that using late 80 to late 90's Crown Victoria  or Grand Marquis with 5.0  are great  throttle cable to use.  there carb and EFI 5.0 use the same one. that because there EFI throttle body is located next to the brake master cyl. unlike mustang EFI is one the passenger side.
remember it easier to fix them, than to find them after they been crushed.

V6 = juvenile delinquency!