Skip to main content
Topic: performance parts (Read 3392 times) previous topic - next topic

performance parts

Reply #15
you can do the small performance parts like underdrive pulleys,roller rockers, port your throttlebody unit, msd setup,longtube headers. those are the easy and cheap parts.most of the parts you will want are for the mustang v6.
84 el camino ss-daily driver(efi mild sbc,2004r, posi 3:42 rear.)
84 mercury cougar v6- was a v6/ nitrous drag car, going back to mostly stock
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

performance parts

Reply #16
Quote from: bigslim2454;359100
does anyone have more info about switching out my 3.8 v6 for a 302 or 351? And what of 302 or 351 i can or should use?

coolcats.net has a whole writeup about it. For a 302 you'll want to start hunting for am 87 tbird engine harness, which runs from the passneger side at the computer out to the engine bay, acros the riewall and plugs into two plugs over at the drivers fender well. I think in 87 the alternator harness is spidered into it. Personally, I did a very similar swap, from an 88 3.8l v6 to an 87 thunderbird 5.0. It's a lot of work, but a labor of love. My advise, go with a mustang HO, if you use a tbird 5.0 SO you'll regret it, like I did. regardless you want the tbird engine harness for a 5.0 for your year car, this eliminates splicing and testing and guesswork. Also, before you even begin, inspect your car thoroughly for rust. The strut towers looking in from the wheel well and inside on the engine bay, and floor boards etc. These cars rot out easily, and you don't want to spend all that time and money to swap motors to find out your car is a rust bucket(yes, I speak from experience).

I did a lot of research 3-4 years back about the 3.8, pretty much it's just burning money. The 3.8's are notorious for head gasket failure, any mods are just going to expedite the failure.

performance parts

Reply #17
the 3.8 do have a head gasket problem but its a easy fix of changing the head gaskets and go with head studs not head bolt. then you won't have a gasket  blowing anymore.
81 chevy malibu-protouring/  drag car.( efi sbc supercharged 283 that will rev to the moon, 2004r, 4:11 posi rear)

performance parts

Reply #18
Quote from: blackcougar71;359670
you can do the small performance parts like underdrive pulleys,roller rockers, port your throttlebody unit, msd setup,longtube headers. those are the easy and cheap parts.most of the parts you will want are for the mustang v6.

holy  you're back! Haven't seen you on here in a few months... You just been lurking or what?
--Steve
[thread=28690]1988 Cougar V6[/thread]
2012 F-150 3.7L
2011 Mustang 3.7L

performance parts

Reply #19
i have been on other forums to get parts and info for my big block malibu and high horsepower el camino lately. now im back to fixing my cougar since im tired of letting it sit for 2 years. so i will be on here alot more with my new v6 info and items to show you guys.