Skip to main content
Topic: 1987 to 1997 Thunderbird and Cougar custom-made hood liners (Read 8096 times) previous topic - next topic

1987 to 1997 Thunderbird and Cougar custom-made hood liners

I recently joined the forum, I'm a newbie to this site but not to forums, I'm a member of the Thunderbirds and Cougars Club of America and post in their forum.

I make hood liner heat shields from aircraft bulkhead/firewall material and I'm offering them to the Thunderbird/Cougar/Mark VIII community. They really dress up the engine bay, especially for show cars, and are superior to the factory foam liner. This material is FAA approved.

Rather than take up too much time and space here, I figured the easiest way is to post a link to the TCCOA forum with the pictures of my hoodliners, complete descriptions and comments as well: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=105559 .

My desire is to help the Thunderbird and Cougar owners and enthusiasts with a minor modification to the engine bays, which will set them apart from the others. I've seen so many pictures of car shows and I've been to a few myself, and although the engines are clean and spotless the liners are filthy and sometimes torn. These are not a "one-size-fits-all", I custom-make these myself from templates made from actual original liners from the models I have available to me. I can make a hoodliner for ANY car as long as I have an original liner from which to work with. I can offer liners for the 1987 and 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupes!!

Click on the image for the 1987 and 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupes:

My custom-made liners are $85, vinyl decal is $10 if you want one, and shipping in the U.S. via Priority Mail is $13 in the USA and $23 to Canda. If you have an idea for a graphic you'd like to see on the liner let me know and I can see what I can do with it.

How many car shows have you been to or have seen pictures of on-line, and although the engine bays look spectacular the hood liners are filthy? I can help. My liner has been on my '97 Thunderbird Limited Edition since the summer, I checked it this week and it looks exactly the same as the day I put it on. It hasn't gotten dirty at all!

Here's something I found on Google by an '03 Cobra owner:
<< "What do you clean the hood liner with? Mine is nasty. I was in a car show on Saturday. I won 1st place but I was embarrassed by the hood liner. It's the only thing that looks nasty. Plus a new one is $120.00! What say you?" >>

Note to mods or admin, I have read the rules, since I'm new here please advise or move this thread to the proper section if it's inappropriate here. Please also delete if necessary.

Thanks,

Reply #1
If it fits 87-88 birds and cougs it *should* fit 83-86 too, right?
93 Festiva L, 193k miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, T3 50trim .48/.42, SRT FMIC, Capri electronics/Rocketchip, 2.5" exhaust
bests: ET 12.86, MPH 110.25, 1.92 short
02 Subaru Impreza WRX, 129k miles
97 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 236k miles

Reply #2
Hi bhazard,

Sorry I'm not too "up" on the Fox bodies, although I did own an '88 TBird for 10 years. If the hoods and liners are the same from '83 to '88 then yes, the template that I have which I made from a 1987 V8 Thunderbird liner will fit.

Reply #3
I would be interested in 1 for a 87-88 turbo coupe Hood with the scoops near christmas, I'm only pointing this out if its possible for this hood so I know and also others.
.: Lastest :.

Reply #4
could you do the same think for our trunks of our cars?

looks good the picture is about right and i need one for a TC hood later on down the road nice work keep it up.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://www.cardomain.com/id/Carpimp1987
1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.
1988 T-Bird 5.0 HO DD/Sleeper/next project car :birdsmily:
1988 Cougar XR7 5.0 HO Vortech Supercharged being bulit right now :cougarsmily:

Reply #5
Hi Crusher and Carpimp1987, I should have the templates for the Turbo Coupes WELL before Christmas and I'll be ready for you whenever you'd like.

As far as the trunks go, the most feasible way to do this would be to tell me what length and width of material you need and I'll send it to you. You can cut them to fit on your cars using an X-Acto knife or some sharp shop scissors. I've compared several Thunderbird and Cougar trunks and the actual contours of the trunks vary from year to year. Sending a section of liner material would be easiest for everyone. X-Acto knifes with handles can be bought for about $2 - $3 at Michael's, and just about anywhere. Adhesive is the way to install these, and they look great. I get compliments on my liner, and so does that guy in the TCCOA forum who has the '98 Lincoln Mark VIII.

Reply #6
My question is; what good are these and what do they do?  They are on just about every car from the factory but the first thing I always did is get rid of it.  Car seems to run the same either way.

TED

Reply #7
Hi Ted,

It's not the same as the foam liner that gets dirty and deteriorates. It's a totally different formulation, and performs and looks superior to what the factory uses. It dresses up the engine bay, and the decal can be personalized, meaning not only a Thunderbird or a Cougar emblem but even letters spelling out a name or even a forum "handle". The two cannot be compared. I invite you to read my posts in that link to the TCCOA forum.

Reply #8
I have heard that the original liner was supposed to help supress a small engine fire. It would fall down and help smother it. I'm not sure how much stock I put in this, since it wasn't the most reputable source.

I have also heard it keeps the heat from messing up the paint, but with the number of people running around here without them, I'm not buying that one.

Another purpose is sound insulation, but who doesn't like to hear your engine :)
2000 Jaguar XK8 Convertible - 4.0L DOHC V8 (AJ27)
2018 Ford Explorer - 3.5L DOHC V6 (Duratec 35)
1999 Mercury Grand Marquis - 4.6L SOHC V8 (Modular)
1987 Mercury Cougar LS - 5.0L V8 (Windsor) [SOLD in 2009]

Reply #9
Make it say Aerobird GT and wait till i got more money than i need and for the price it really would not be to bad and it would be worth me not spending money for 1-4 days to get it. I got me a $75 trans-cooler with change i had form work for about 1-2 weeks so as soon as i get the all important Vortech SC on and make sure everything is working fine then i would be in the market for something like this product soon again. Its nice to see more parts being amde for our cars so sure it may cost some money but we don't all have to buy them but can't we at least say they look nice insted of bashing someone for trying the make T-birds and Cougars a nicer car to fix up and own.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1987 T-Bird AEROBIRD-GT had many many mods but is now totaled and is the car that made me want to start customizing everything all over again.

Reply #10
Hi Carpimp1987, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. I owned my '88 Thunderbird V8 for 10 years then I sold it to a family friend. I then bought my '97 Limited Edition and have had it for 6 years so far. These were the 2 best cars I've ever owned. I'm kinda bummed that the Thunderbirds and Cougars always are in the "shadows" behind the Mustang.

Do you have a font in mind for the "Aerobird GT"?

Hi SSX - I understand that the smothering out any engine fire is a myth. It's there for sound insulation and for helping protect the paint. True, some folks have taken it off and nothing has happened with the paint. I'm sure they have to clean the underside of the hood more often though. The sounds I want to hear from my engine are the ones coming out the tail pipes! Those would be the same sounds the people BEHIND me get to hear.

Reply #11
Heres my car domain way to many pictures but whatever fonts on the window banner same font was used on both the old and new one i got now. Hope you like it

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2202147
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Reply #12
Great pics! You've done a lot of work to your ride. I can have the lettering done, I've got a close-enough font. About how wide do you want it? Around 14 inches or so would look great but measure it to be sure!

You have a Turbo Coupe hood and I don't have the template for those yet, unless it's non-functional - then I can do it.

Let me know!

Reply #13
It will be a little while man but its nice to know it can be done and thanks for looking at my car. A lot of work has been done on it not where all my money goes but at least about 30%+ of it. I hope to soon get a 2nd car to start working on keep thinking up stuff and maybe you can make something else for our cars as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Free shipping until December 31, 2007

Reply #14
I can offer hood liners for these cars at present:

1986 through 1997 Thunderbirds and Cougars (don't have Turbo Coupes just yet but I will! Maybe someone can send me their original?)

1997/1998 Lincoln Mark VIIIs

1987 through 1998 Mustangs (other years will be available!)

Liners are $85, decal if desired is $10. Trunk liner is $40 (tell me the dimensions of your trunk lid underside and I'll cut the section out for you. You can trim it to fit with an X-Acto knife.

[SIZE="5"]FREE SHIPPING UNTIL 31 DECEMBER 2007![/SIZE] It's usually $10 via USPS Priority Mail.

For other vehicles, if you can send me your liner to use as a template, I'll make you one for $75 AND I'll pick up the shipping.

If you have ideas for a vinyl decal you'd like please let me know!