Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 Cougar 3.8 L won't idle. (Read 8981 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 Cougar 3.8 L won't idle.

Reply #45
IMO, I would find another garage.  Does this garage have an ASE Master Mechanic?
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

1986 Cougar 3.8 L won't idle.

Reply #46
Quote from: Mikey97D;466790
IMO, I would find another garage.  Does this garage have an ASE Master Mechanic?
I don't know if they are ASE Master mechanics. I had the car towed to them because they specialize in working on fox body mustangs. I figured since my '86 Cougar is also a fox body car they would have the answer.

Re: 1986 Cougar 3.8 L won't idle.

Reply #47
Ok, so it's been over 2 years since I started this thread about my 86 Cougar. The car has been back home for over 2 years now and still won't idle. It will start right up when I spray carb cleaner down the TDI. Two different mechanics tried to fix the car but neither could figure out why it won't idle. It is not throwing any codes. As I mentioned at the start of this thread, I replaced a lot of parts to try to fix the car including the computer. The second mechanic replaced the original computer more than 2 years ago. I recently found out he replaced the original computer with a computer from a 86 Mustang in the junkyard. Could that be the problem? If I bought a new rebuilt computer ($93) and installed that could it maybe solve the problem?   Please let me know what you guys think.  Thanks!

Reply #48
What method are you using to pull codes?
There should always be some codes.
The KOEO (Key On Engine Off) self test will test the sensor inputs to the EEC.
If it finds a sensor out of specs it will post a fault code.
If it successfully completes the tests without finding any faults it will post a nofaults code.

Reply #49
Trying to avoid going the same rabbit hole of two years ago.
The starting point should be to use the tools that are built into the EEC.
If the KOEO shows no fault codes and also no code 11 to indicate the test ran successfully. this is where the trouble shooting should begin.
I don't know if you have ever run the self tests or if you are still relying on what the mechanic said 2yrs ago.

If you are willing to acquire some basic tools. and willing to learn, I am willing to try to help.

Reply #50
Thanks for the advice. Is installing a new rebuilt computer a waste of time?

Reply #51
Why replace something if you don't know if its broken?

I hate to say it, but there are really only maybe 6 wires the car needs powered up to run and there are really only a few critical sensors. The computer will tell you if things aren't working.

If you don't want to check if the computer is working, I really don't see much point in trying to fix the car.

It takes two minutes and a paper clip. Most 86's done have a check engine light, so we have to use a test light or a 12v buzzer or an buttstuffog volt meter.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #52
The car has a check engine light but it doesn't work. I am not a mechanic. Is there a ASE master mechanic in the Dallas area in the group who can help me with this car?

Reply #53
You quite litterly only need a paper clip.

https://youtu.be/9QSiS6wf7oU
https://youtu.be/z0ehA8cFTkc

This is me pulling codes on an 87. I am using a volt meter to show how you can do it without the check engine light.

Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com