Skip to main content
Topic: Craigslist T-Bird (Read 6179 times) previous topic - next topic

Craigslist T-Bird

Reply #15
Quote from: crossboss;447877
Ford actually made a select few 1987/88 Turbo coupes with the 5.0 HO engine T5 combo. It was a special order only deal and came with no warranty, and when taking delievery you had to trailer it off the lot. I know as I was going to order one back in the day…the killer, was the price..27K. Also, Ford made some for Bob Bondurant's (sp) hi-performance driving school in Phoenix (1988) When I spoke to Bondo about the cars he made mention Ford took each one back in 1990 and destroyed them. Btw, Several magazine did features on these special 'Birds.
Where'd you get this info??? Tooth Fairy or maybe a leprechaun on St Patties Day???

It never happened, at least not from Lorain Ohio's assembly line(they built all T-Birds starting '86)... Why?? Because complete drivetrain must be emissions certified in the chassis it's in to be legal for street usage, this is exactly why Bob's cars were destroyed after his track use...

A dealer or independent shop could theoretically build one and skirt the legality issue, as it was originally out the door with a certified drive train... A dealer that got caught would no doubt be in deep do do...

Craigslist T-Bird

Reply #16
Only reason you would have to trailer it off the lot is if it wasn't street legal, meaning even if it did happen, you couldn't drive it.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Craigslist T-Bird

Reply #17
Im pretty sure this info is correct. I read this in a magazine before. I believe the Bondurant car in the article was gray.

Craigslist T-Bird

Reply #18
Turbocoupe50--
With all due respect, you are incorrect. As I posted, you had to trailer it off the lot, and came with no warranty. That means, NOT street or emissions legal. As the other posters agreed, and have seen the articles also. I personally have spoken to Bondo about these very cars and they were used at his driving school on lease from Ford. After the lease was up (1990) Ford took back the Birds and crushed them. Btw, all were Dark Metallic Blue in color.

Craigslist T-Bird

Reply #19
We've all see the write up on the cars he used. I remember reading several articles on them, and i am pretty sure they were not street legal either...
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com