Skip to main content
Topic: Sn-95 T-5 swap behind 3.8 Cougar/Bird How To. (Read 28865 times) previous topic - next topic

Sn-95 T-5 swap behind 3.8 Cougar/Bird How To.

Reply #15
Intresting bit of info there.
One 88

Reply #16
Quote from: srv1
So to answer everyones questions, all the 3.8FI motors are balanced the same.

All flexplate makers use a different flexplate for pre-88 and post-88 3.8s. If Ford had simply updated the design in 1988, but everything else was the same, then the aftermarket parts manufacturers would use the updated part for all 3.8s. But, this is not so.

The balance could be the same, but it is a guess.

85-87 3.8L AOD Flexplate------------------88-95 3.8L AOD Flexplate

These two don't look exactly the same...

http://www.knology.net/~belchja/flexplates.xls

Reply #17
Quote from: JeremyB
All flexplate makers use a different flexplate for pre-88 and post-88 3.8s. If Ford had simply updated the design in 1988, but everything else was the same, then the aftermarket parts manufacturers would use the updated part for all 3.8s. But, this is not so.

The balance could be the same, but it is a guess.

I'm more inclined to go with this.  But srv1 has an intresting point
One 88

Reply #18
88+ got balance shafts occasionally

if i remember correctly, the supercoupes and mn12's got a 0 balance, nuetral balance

the problem is, you can look up aftermarket parts all you want, aftermarket catalogs arnt always right, they pull up 4 lug parts for my dads mn12...yeah
It's Gumby's fault.

Reply #19
Quote from: Tbird232ci
88+ got balance shafts occasionally

http://www.babpen 15s.com/editorial/ar/ar90134.htm
the problem is, you can look up aftermarket parts all you want, aftermarket catalogs arnt always right, they pull up 4 lug parts for my dads mn12...yeah

True, but I doubt four different manufactures are wrong about the flexplate application. (Stranger things have happened)

In edit..

Reply #20
I'm bettin' 99.9% chance the ballance of the '88 vs earlier 3.8 is different... Otherwise the aftermarket would have combined the two numbers, to reduce inventory...

EDIT copied from the Babpen 15s rebuilder site...

1983 (After 4/1/83) -’87
In April 1983, Ford converted the 3.8L to a one-piece rear seal, so the slinger was no longer needed on the crank. This revised E3AE casting originally came with the shorter front main that measured 1.298˝ +/- from the front to the very back edge of the machined area.

1988-’95 FWD and RWD
The length of the front main was increased from about 1.298˝ to about 1.414˝ in 1988 because the front main was moved back about 0.125˝ when the front of the block was inset to make room for the gears for the balance shaft. There were a few of the earlier E3AE castings that came with the longer front main, but most of them were E8AE or E9DE castings. Some rebuilders used to make the early E3AE cranks into the later ones by machining the front main wider, but there are plenty of late cores available now so it’s probably not worth taking the time to convert them anymore.

AH HAAA... The early cranks can be machined to work in the in the '88-'95 engines...  So what does machining do??? Removes metal thus changing ballance.. The later flywheel may work on the earlier engine but it's definatly gonna be out of ballance(maybe not by much)..

Reply #21
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
Some rebuilders used to make the early E3AE cranks into the later ones by machining the front main wider, but there are plenty of late cores available now so it’s probably not worth taking the time to convert them anymore.

AH HAAA... The early cranks can be machined to work in the in the '88-'95 engines...  So what does machining do??? Removes metal thus changing ballance.. The later flywheel may work on the earlier engine but it's definatly gonna be out of ballance(maybe not by much)..

But Tom, you'd be removing metal at the center of the crank (the axis of rotation), and you'd be doing it evenly around the entire cirspoogeference of the main, so it wouldn't affect balance

I wonder if one could use the late flywheel so long as the late balancer was used as well?
2015 Mustang GT Premium - 5.0, 6-speed, Guard Green - too much awesome for one car

1988 5.0 Thunderbird :birdsmily: SOLD SEPT 11 2010: TC front clip/hood ♣ Body & paint completed Oct 2007 ♣ 3.55 TC rear end and front brakes ♣ TC interior ♣ CHE rear control arms (adjustable lowers) ♣ 2001 Bullitt springs ♣ Energy suspension poly busings ♣ Kenne Brown subframe connectors ♣ CWE engine mounts ♣ Thundercat sequential turn signals ♣ Explorer overhead console (temp/compass display) ♣ 2.25" off-road dual exhaust ♣ T-5 transmission swap completed Jan 2009 ♣

Reply #22
Carmen I see what you are saying, so maybe it don't make a difference. As long as the front cheek of the #1&4 crank pin wasn't disturbed you are right... But the adding of a counterballance shaft inside the engine surely will... The flexplates pictured look very similar, but one appeared to have quite a bit of weight drilled out of it...

No matter what we gotta give props to CougarSE and Shawn for this one... Way to go guys...

Reply #23
I'm loving this car even more.  I wish shawn could have been here for the actuall swap.  But that would have been a hell of a drive for a tranny swap.

One thing though.  My motor mounts are toast.  The engine rocks horribly now.

Tom I noticed the older flywheel looked as if its weight had been drilled as well.  Don't qoute me but I think the 88 and up is a 38oz balance and the 87 down is a 28oz.  As shawn said the s/c are 0oz balance. 

Carmen I'll try to find out about the balancers.

Thanks Tom and by the way my name is Claude.
One 88

Reply #24
That would be killer in my 87 car. Please find out the balance of the 87 cars. I will see what I can find.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #25
I sent an e-mail to Venture Products asking them if the '82-'83 F100 had the same imbalance as '83-'87 car 3.8s. My guess is I won't get a response or I'll get a useless one...but it is worth a try. Their catalog shows the F100 3.8 has the same imbalance as the 351W and later model 302s (28.2 oz).

Another interesting oddity is found in ATP's catalog. They list the correct flexplates for our cars. But, they show the flywheel for the '82-'83 F100 being the same as...
94-00 3.8 Mustang
89-95 3.8 Cougar w/SC & MT
Various 28oz engines

For whatever reason, several catalogs refer to the '82-'83 F100 3.8 as 230 cu. in.

Reply #26
Quote from: JeremyB
Their catalog shows the F100 3.8 has the same imbalance as the 351W and later model 302s (28.2 oz).

Not sure of your defination of late model, but 302/5.0 from '82 have a 50oz imballance....

Reply #27
Whoops.

Actually, they (Venture) have the '82-'83 F100 3.8 flywheel listed the same as 28oz and 50oz 302s. Are aftermarket catalogs created by retards?

Reply #28
here are the only pics I can get at the moment.  When I have a chance I'll get the car on a lift and take pics of the bottom.  I didn't have anyone to take pictures of me doing the swap.
One 88

Reply #29
ooo nice. it looks stock minus the shifter. looks like your parking brake works too. *envies* :D
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver