Skip to main content
Topic: turbocoupe 5.0 swap (Read 24543 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: turbocoupe 5.0 swap

Reply #15
You are right about it lowering the eng,not sure about the width but i think it is a little thiner.

Reply #16
So the 5.0 bird harness is the easiest way?  Cause I used a stang harness but still have some bugs that I can't trace to the wiring or the motor (was sold a very mixed up motor, different years, parts, sensors, etc..) and I'm going to redo my swap.  Also, can the mustang mass air conversion kit be used with the 5.0 bird stuff?  Cause I don't want to revert back to speed density...

Reply #17
Yes the bird or cougar 5.0 harness is the best way,the stang harness has to many differences.

Reply #18
oh, and does anyone have any more info on the mod to fit a mustang (stock or tubular) k-member into the 87-88 bird?  I don't quite understand what the problem is or the fabbed part to fix it...

Reply #19
Quote from: BookSixStudios@yahoo.com
oh, and does anyone have any more info on the mod to fit a mustang (stock or tubular) k-member into the 87-88 bird?  I don't quite understand what the problem is or the fabbed part to fix it...

The Mustang K member will have approx 3/4" gap at the rearward mounting points. Also those bolt holes will have to be enlarged to line up properly. If you want a K member that uses Mustang Type mounts and is a direct fit, grab one from a '83-'85 Bird/Coug.

Reply #20
Quote from: TurboCoupe50
Also those bolt holes will have to be enlarged to line up properly.

Bolt holes on the car or on the k-member?

Reply #21
Anyone on the bolt holes thing? 

Also still wondering about the mass air conversion kit being used on the 88 5.0 bird harness...

And one more add on:

Where is the best place to find the 5.0 bird harness?  The cars are hard to find in junkyards and I hate to got that route anyway cause I've seen serious bugs caused by bad harnesses.

Reply #22
The bolt holes on the K member need to be enlarged slightly.

The MA conv kits are sold on ebay all the time....

You're on your own on finding a harness... I usually just buy a parts car.

Reply #23
mass air
Here's a mass air conversion on ebay right now. :)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

Reply #24
Quote from: cougarman
mass air
Here's a mass air conversion on ebay right now. :)

Thx cougarman... I didn't have time to look when I posted...

BTW... anybody noticed the originator of this thread has not posted again since he made the original first and only post???

Reply #25
Yea he got scared by my massive write up on the swap!
LOL

Reply #26
So I take it that means Ford doesn't make the harnesses anymore....

Reply #28
No, I'm talking about the 5.0 'bird harness.  Does Ford still sell that?

A few more questions that came up:

Is the evap canister necessary for emissions?  Easy to hook up in the TC?  Do I need special hoses from the 5.0 bird for this too?

Does the new fuel pump wiring have to go all the way to the back?  I currently have mine wired with a relay (which I could never make computer controlled, so its triggered by the ign switch - thats right, it doesnt cycle the pump and shut off) and it is spliced in by the passenger kick panel....??

And dominator, can you explain the pink/black wire needs to loop for me?  Thanks!

Reply #29
Dude i'll have to ponder it for the next few days,otherwise i gotta pull my rear seats and try to remember what i did back there.
The wiring for the fuel pump goes from a 4 pin connector near the eec all the way to the rear of the car and the pump relay is in the rear attached to the pass cross rails behind the rear seat.Also it grounds with an orange wire to just in front of the pass front seat under the carpet.
I ran my harness to the rear and cut the wires in the trunk where they enter the car then i spliced the wires color for color to each other.
Then i tried it, no fuel.
My buddie and i sat down in the back of my car with my evtm and tried to figure it out.
The loop i'm referimg to has to due with the inertia switch wires that are part of the tc.
The way i had it wired it was not powering the intertia switch(pink/black)I had to supply power to these wires from the power wire off of the fuel pump harness,once done it worked.
It kinda looked like a loop due to the fact that there were 2 wires for the inertia switch that had to be cut,then they had to be "looped"(attached to the power wire in the fuel pump harness from the 5.0l).
Now the inertia switch functions just as it should(tested it) and all works as it should.
Hope that helps man, sorry i can't be more direct but it was right at the end of my 72hr swap and i was pretty freakin tired.