Skip to main content
Topic: Door Lock Actuator Install (Read 1296 times) previous topic - next topic

Door Lock Actuator Install

Ok... I give up
I can Hold the Actuator in my hand and hit the Up/Down Buttons and all is well...
I can move the Manual Lock  and all is well...

But - - - When I set the Actuator into the Frame and Connect the Linkage to the Latch
and hit the Up/Down Buttons .. .. Nothing Really Moves. 
I Hear the Actuator Energize in each direction.
... but still nothing moves.

What am I doing wrong ??

Re: Door Lock Actuator Install

Reply #1
OoPs...
This is on a 1986 Mercury Cougar XR7 Turbo

Reply #2
Does the other door work ok? They use the same power source and relays.

The actuator has a little electric motor with a worm gear to drive the actuator.
Try holding on to the actuator when you have it out of the door and see if the motor stalls too easy or the gears jump over their teeth.

Reply #3
Does the other door work ok? They use the same power source and relays.

Changing Both Actuators.
Did have a problem with one Relay but it was a Bad Connection in the Harness/Base.
BOTH Relays are Firing, now !!

Reply #4
The actuator has a little electric motor with a worm gear to drive the actuator.
Try holding on to the actuator when you have it out of the door and see
if the motor stalls too easy or the gears jump over their teeth.

Yes...Tried that.
That's how I know that Both Actuators are working...before I place them in the Door.
They Spin..and extend/retract... as designed when connected and I am holding them in my Hand.
But move only enough to see the action when connected to the Latch/Lock Hardware
NOTHING moves far enough to Completely Lock or Unlock when installed in the Door.

Reply #5
I can't find any specs on how many pounds of force the actuator should have.
I thought if you could hold onto the actuator rod while you tested it you could get feel for whether it has enough oomph.
Have you tried lubing the linkage in the door? Is there too much play (wear) in the pivot points?

Reply #6
... whether it has enough oomph.
Have you tried lubing the linkage in the door? Is there too much play (wear) in the pivot points?

Got a Fresh Tube of White  Lithium Grease just to make certain things Slide as Needed.

I'm using a Linkage very similar to the original.... but I am wondering if I could use another one and make it work..??

Reply #7
Don't know about any aftermarket stuff.