Skip to main content
Topic: 1997 Called, they want their car back...... my 1986 T-bird build (Read 18474 times) previous topic - next topic

1997 Called, they want their car back...... my 1986 T-bird build

Reply #60
Yeah I got the Merc fixed and just sold it a couple weeks ago to fund the 92 Coupe. The coupe is Vermillion Red and was an auto 2.3 car. I've got all the parts to do the 5.0 swap plus the engine from the 86 GT. I actually just bought another car last night a 91 5.0 LX Hatchback. I'm still gathering parts here and there for the Thunderbird and I promise I'll get back on it as soon as I can.

Reply #61
The cutting apart of the 86 GT rust bucket has begun, it will donate a quarter panel and some other small patch panels to the 91 Hatchback. I found a local guy parting out a 86 T-bird and we've struck a deal for alot of the parts I need. Once the 91 Hatch is running and driving the coupe may get put on the back burner to make way for the T-bird build. I've been thinking my way through this and the SN95 dash and console swap needs to be done. I'm going to move the mirror and window switches while I'm at it. Also the stock HVAC  is going away for a Vintage Air setup. Its just like I tell my friends, this T-bird is my Street Rod lol.

Reply #62
Still slowly moving along. I sed the 86 Mustang, it was too far gone. The 91 Hatch will be going to the body shop after the holidays, the 92 Coupe is getting sidelined for a Coyote swap, and I bought a 86 TC from COLD. I'm slowly gathering parts for this project which I've named SR86.

Reply #63
A little update on this project. We have a neighbor causing problems and I've moved my 91 Hatch and this 86 to a friend's house for the winter while I make some room here. I did empty all the parts out before the move and I'd like to make a little bit of progress. I started a thread about it over on pro-touring.com which is dominated by old Camaros, Firebirds, and Mustangs. There are some oddball projects and this is one of them lol.

One of the things I'd like to do is bring the lighting into the 21st century. LED's all the way around including the headlights. I started working on a set of tail lights to remove the difuser from the inside of the lens to make it look updated. I also know from experience the sealant that holds the lens on will fail so this is a good time to replace it.

Difuser out, but not in one piece.

I already like where this is going

The plan is to add LED light boards to the housing so I'm not concerned with the "reflective" part of the housing. I do want to smooth out the textured part above the lens so I started with 220 grit sand paper to remove the grain.

Added some primer and saw I have a few low areas to work on.

While that was drying I wanted to polish the lens and remove the casting numbers and mold lines and get them ready for a tinted clearcoat.

Taped off the emblem

I used a 3m 500 grit 3" disc on a cordless drill. I quickly found a low spot in the lens.

And I got it smoothed out.

Next step is to hit it with 800 grit, then clear with some slightly tinted clear coat.

Reply #64
I keep checking on this thread...forgot to mention that you found what I wish I could find in a JY, that's a tubular k member!!!!!!  nice score.

keep up the good work man!

Reply #65
Thanks man. I just sent the email with pics to the LED board builder so we'll see what that will run me. I'm going to try to knock out some of this small stuff before the body gets back here. I actually need to make another JY run to grab another SN95 dash. I've decided to go that direction and remove the heater box, firewall, and steering column from a SN95 with some custom touches. I might side track the heater box for a vintage air setup, but we'll see what the budget looks like.

Reply #66
I think doing the interior like your planning will be nice.
my son, I and jandmustangs were contemplating the options out there to do the dash upgrade, this is something my son wants to do after our build & paint is done.

I like Mkvii interiors as well as sn95 way better than our interiors.
I seriously ***HATE*** the stupid center arm rest floating console,, I think its just plain ugly.  I like the sport/xr7 centers way better,, like was standard in the 84 models

Reply #67
I want to update the interior more than anything just because I hate the window switches on the console. I daily drove on of these for nearly two years and it bugged me so bad. The SN95 dash flows better and has better ergonomics. For me, it fits the theme of the "jet fighter" pen 15pit too. I'm going to add alot of details to the dash, passenger airbag area, and console.

Thats one of the reasons I want a painless harness as well. I'm not going to use most of the luxury features these cars had (trip comp, oil useage, etc) and I want to do away with the unneeded  lol. I've been watching your build thread as well and taking some notes myself. I'm fully expecting this car to be near $20-25k in parts by the time I'm done. This is going to take a long time unless I win the lottery lol.

I've been working on the tail lights on and off today, I have a few pics to upload and I'll post later.

Reply #68
I haven't forgot about this thread, its just been a busy year. I purchased a 1991 Mustang SSP back in May and I'm still picking away at the red Mustang coupe in the back ground of some of these pics. I went by my friend's house where the car is stored yesterday and made sure its good for this fall. I'm hoping to get it home soon and some friends have been talking about renting a shop and splitting the cost. If so, it will at least get closer to home and maybe a little work here and there. Sorry for the anti-climatic update but at least it hasn't been forgotten or sped.