Skip to main content
Topic: 1997 Called, they want their car back...... my 1986 T-bird build (Read 18536 times) previous topic - next topic

1997 Called, they want their car back...... my 1986 T-bird build

Reply #30
Hey Drew, don't know if this is even close to you or not, but might not be a bad idea for you to check out.  Sounds like he'd take as little as $300 for the complete car.    No pics are there but thought of you when I saw this.

http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/cto/4313726522.html

Go Fast the first time.  The tickets the same.
86 Thunderbird 5.0.  All original good weather driver. Tbird Reg #53035
86 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather driver.  Tbird Reg # 58555
87 Thunderbird TC.  All original good weather daily driver.  Tbird Reg # 64647

Reply #31
It shows as sold now. I found an 86 in a junkyard about an hour away from me but they want 100 for each fender. As soon as our weather improves enough to make a road trip I'll ride up and see what I'm dealing with.

Reply #32
Nice build thread Drew !
I was not aware you were on this site.

Looks like I need to get over to that L-Ville pick a part and look at that 87 TC.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #33
Quote from: 83-88T-Bird Guy;428325
Nice build thread Drew !
I was not aware you were on this site.

Looks like I need to get over to that L-Ville pick a part and look at that 87 TC.
Yeah, all the body panels are in good shape and the 2.3 and turbo are still there. The snowflake rims are still there too. I just made a thread on LM.net about the car, getting good responses so far.

Reply #34
Quote from: Drewstang;428335
Yeah, all the body panels are in good shape and the 2.3 and turbo are still there. The snowflake rims are still there too. I just made a thread on LM.net about the car, getting good responses so far.

Cool.
Those 87-88 TC electric front struts are keepers. Best drag struts I have used yet.
That car is the same color as my 87 TC.
Alan Mackin--Semi Professional Ford der
83 T-Bird 460
83 T-Bird Heritage 5.0
84 T-Bird 5.0
86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe NHRA Stocker & Super Stocker
87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe
88 Bronco II Drag truck 302
95 Mustang GT auto
2004 F-350 CC Dually V-10

Reply #36
Small update. Started working the dash over and its going to need some filling and smoothing to be finished. I bought some vinyl at the local fabric store that is dark charcoal and has a nice grain pattern.

My sons helping remove more sound deadner:

And I started working on the wiring. The more I look at repairing the harness the less likey I'm going to be to reuse it. I have done Painless style harnesses in 5-6 cars and they are much easier to work with than this rat's nest. I'm going to pick up something in the near future and I'll update when I do.

Reply #37
I bet they loved that job lol

Reply #38
Its sometimes amazing what you can get your kids to do because they are hanging with Dad!!! Ive had all 3 of my kids out helping with some stuff on my car. Its a shame you are so far away, I know where theres an 84 TC thats mostly complete in a salvage yard and they are cheap.

Reply #39
Is that the white one you got that FMS spoiler from?? I need to make a day trip out of it and come up there and maybe get some parts from it.

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Reply #40
Yes it is, I either need to make a run myself or give them a call to make sure its still there. They don't normally crush a lot, but about the time I say at all they would start!! I'd like to get the motor for parts!!

Reply #41
That stuff is chipping and coming up pretty easy so they are having a blast with it. I had to move the car outside this morning to help a friend with his WRX and while we were working I got a text from the previous owner of the Mustang and we should be able to pick it up next weekend. I decided to cover the T-bird up and leave it outside for now. It started to snow and had 1/2" on it and inside already.

A few years ago I had a really sweet Marauder. Super charged, long tube headers, ported heads and blower, 18 psi, stall and 4.10's. I sold it after it went through the trans about 5000 miles after a rebuild thanks to a horrible tuner. I wasn't working and didn't want it sitting around collecting dust and making payments. A friend of mine bought a Silver 03 with high miles a few months back and used it as a daily driver until he got a 08 WRX last week. He's offered it to me for a steal and I'm going to take it on as well.

In the mean time, I'll be working on the dash and cleaning the garage this week. I'll post some pics of the progress on the dash.

Reply #42
Would love to strip out a T-Bird and completely redo it! It will be fun following your progress.
...and there was light!

Reply #43
Its going to be a long journey but we'll get there eventually. I've been doing research for the little details for months, but I've wanted to do a complete teardown and rebuild for years.

Reply #44
I had to push the car outside to help a friend with his car and the weather finally broke so I could bring the 86 Mustang GT home on Saturday. After looking it over in the garage I have found some rust I need to address ASAP before the car goes back on the road this spring. So this is what I'll be working on for the next few months:

I'm still gathering parts for the T-bird and after the Mustang is rolling under its own power again I have to fix the timing chains on my 04 Marauder: