Skip to main content
Topic: '70 F100 Short Bed Styleside (Read 12538 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: '70 F100 Short Bed Styleside

Reply #60
Well its only been a little over nine months and not a whole lot has happened.  We did finish up welding the boxing plates on the frame and got the rear of the front LCA's mounted.

Rear frame boxing plate weldout pictures:

Front LCA rear mount attachment:

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #61
Awesome work. 
Really enjoy watching these projects come together and all the craftsmanship.
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #62
I wanted to get the control arms for the rear end powder coated but the rod ends that came with the Fatman Fabrications four link are the old RideTech ends in that the bushing is pressed in and they quit making them.  So if I attempted to remove them and damaged one I am SOL.  I could cut them off and replace them with the newer RideTech design (R-Joint) which allows for better movement and they are rebuildable but the cost is ridiculous so I think these are just going to get painted at this point.

I got the 9" housing mocked up under the truck and a buddy narrowed it for me at his shop a few miles from my dad's shop.  That then went to the powder coaters and is now black like the front suspension parts.  Thought I had some pics of the rear axle housing powder coated but I cannot find them but if I do I'll post them up.

The guy that narrowed the rear axle housing has a jig to measure the length of the axle needed from the 3rd member to the axle  and then you have to know the offset for the brakes you are going to run to get the correct axles.

Jig he has is a plate that slips over all the studs that the 3rd member attaches to the axle housing. This one is similar but it only attaches to four of the studs on the axle housing:

You can see window to the left side which is where the ends of the axles would be.

I called Moser and they talked me though what information they needed and a few weeks later the axles showed up.  The same guy that narrowed the axle housing assembled the 3rd member with the 3.73 gears, new trac-lok, and a bearing kit all from Yukon Gear.  I have everything for the 2001 Explorer rear disc brakes except for the calipers so I am now working on getting those.  Once I have them I will assemble the rear end and put it under the truck.

Reply #63
Any updates?

Reply #64

Just need to find time / get off my ass and put the rear end together. Have all the parts, housing is narrowed and powder coated, and axles have been shortened. After that it’s the $8,000 hammer for the Coyote and trans.

Reply #65
Possible to buy a wrecked truck at an auction cheaper and yank the needed stuff yourself?
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #66
It’s possible but then you have to know how to strip the ECU harness down to what you need, defeat the PATs system, and pray what you buy isn’t hurt.  Then with an F150 motor you get to buy all the stuff for a power steering, relocate the oil filter, and swap the intake cams for Mustang profile ones. Another small thing is the compression ratio is 0.5 less than a Mustang.

The place I’m going to buy from has already weeded the wiring harness down to what’s needed, defeated the PATs, and guarantee the motor and the trans. It comes delivered to your choice of location ready to start. You supply a battery and gas and test fire it before you accept delivery. It comes out of a Mustang and I can choose the mileage. The less mileage the more you pay so I’m going 50,000 or less.

Reply #67
Darren, how ya doin' on the truck? Hope you and yours are well!
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #68
No progress whatsoever. Got the daughter graduated from University of Oklahoma yesterday so that has been our concentration the last couple of years. Hoping I can afford the Coyote and 6R80 next year which will move things along.

Family is good and healthy which is great and hope everyone else here is doing well.

Reply #69
Wow!  Congratulations on your daughter graduation. 

Planning on a Coyote?  What are you planning for an engine controller?  Ford, Holley, etc  ????
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #70
Stock ECU. Will tune it when the switch to the turbo is made.

Reply #71
Decided to go with a Gen III Coyote and 10R80 and top it with a 3.0L Whipple later down the road.  Turbo stuff was just too much piping, rework of the exhaust, and I think the Whipple will be cleaner.  It will allow for me to work all the bugs out naturally aspirated and then move up to the Whipple and go north of 700 hp.

Don't expect to update much until the motor and trans is bought which I hope will be in March or April of 2022.  One other note is I decided to save a little longer and just buy a crate motor and trans so I don't have to throw the dice with salvage yard units.  Prices on salvage parts have gone way up with the whole auto manufacturing chip shortage so it helped close the gap between new and salvage prices.  Only thing that will suck is after the drive train is done it will be more waiting to get the body work and paint done as the days of $3,000 paint jobs are gone.  My buddy that painted my last two cars said for what I want it will be north of $5,000 and it will not be a dark color...good grief.