Skip to main content
Topic: will these wheels fit my Bird? (Read 2872 times) previous topic - next topic

will these wheels fit my Bird?

Reply #1
anyone?
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #2
They should be fine. I have 17x9 up front with 255 40 17 tires, and 17x10 out back with 275 40 17's. Those should be fine. quad shocks probably won't fit.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #3
Yeah those should fit but they will be sticking out of the wheel wells by an inch if not a tad more. mud will get slung up into your car.
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #4
The inch more offset that those wheels have might let him run quad shock but it will be close
1987 turbo coupe 5speed: Boport stage 3 head/2.5 cam , Precision stage 3 50trim .63 turbo, Tial 38mm wastegate, Jangus gutted/ported intake manifolds, 60mm tb, Jangus open dumptube, Jangus 3" elbow, Perrin boost controller,Esslinger adjustable cam pulley, Esslinger small crank pulley, stinger FMI, RFL BOV, Spec stage 3 clutch, B&M short throw, 140 speedo, Walbo 255lph, BBK fpr, 3G alternator, ARP studs.  Be faster... :poke:

Reply #5
oh, not sure of the offset. definately dont want the wheels sticking out past the fender or quarter.      can you give me an idea of the offset that would work?
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #6
i re-read the ad, and the rears have about 6.25 of back space, thats quite a bit. so i see them not clearing quad shocks. but with that much backspace thats only 3.75 of rim from the axle  outwards.  I have pony wheels on my car right now, and they look like they could be another inch or two wider to become flush with the quarter. the ponys are very close in the front already.  i guess i may need to find out the backspace on pony wheels to see where i am at....
-pete
july/88 turbo coupe auto

Reply #7
Figure it out so I know when to order mine!  ;)
1988 T-Bird Sport Coupe--5.0 HO, MAF swap, 1-5/8" shorties, BBK/Flowmaster exhaust, Explorer intake, 70mm Edelbrock TB, T5, B&M short throw, Centerforce clutch and PP, disc brake TC rear w/ 3.55's, TC front brakes, '98 Cobra springs, DIY SFC's, other misc .  14.05 @ 98mph with launching too low and shifting too high.

Reply #8
I believe my 17x9 front wheels are 20mm offset. Not sure about the rear wheels. I looked them up on Ebay, and they only show the backspacing as 20mm. Maybe the rear is the same.....maybe not. The lip on the ones you're looking at appear to be bigger than mine for the rear. It's hard to tell, though. The listing for wheels like mine didn't mention how deep the rear wheels were, although when I bought them, the listing was different, and had greater detail, and the offset of both wheels. For some reason, 19 and 20mm offset comes to mind, but it's been a while and I'm not 100% sure.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #9
Quote from: vinnietbird;391924
I believe my 17x9 front wheels are 20mm offset. Not sure about the rear wheels. I looked them up on Ebay, and they only show the backspacing as 20mm. Maybe the rear is the same.....maybe not. The lip on the ones you're looking at appear to be bigger than mine for the rear. It's hard to tell, though. The listing for wheels like mine didn't mention how deep the rear wheels were, although when I bought them, the listing was different, and had greater detail, and the offset of both wheels. For some reason, 19 and 20mm offset comes to mind, but it's been a while and I'm not 100% sure.

Hey Vinnie what front spindles do you have on your car? I have an 87 Cougar with 96-04 spindles and those wheels stick out too far (at least 1-1.5")

Reply #10
Factory 16"x7" Pony's have a 4.87" backspacing which translates to a 22mm offset.
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #11
6.25" backspacing is 20mm offset... (On a 10" wide wheel)
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #12
Quote from: ricktjr;395449
Hey Vinnie what front spindles do you have on your car? I have an 87 Cougar with 96-04 spindles and those wheels stick out too far (at least 1-1.5")

The '96+ spindles will put your wheels out 1/4" to 3/8" more than '94-'95 spindles would.

(Vinnie's Sport is still 4 lug...)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #13
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;395508
The '96+ spindles will put your wheels out 1/4" to 3/8" more than '94-'95 spindles would.

(Vinnie's Sport is still 4 lug...)

Thanks.

Reply #14
No worries. I've got 94-95 spindles on mine, with mark 7 wheels (7 inch wide, don't know the backspace though) and it puts the tire right at the edge of the fenders, with a 225/60 in size.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6