Skip to main content
Topic: Brought home an LX parts car today, or did I? (Read 8485 times) previous topic - next topic

Brought home an LX parts car today, or did I?

I brought home this 87 5.0 LX today with the original intent of parting it out, but after washing the 14 years of tree sap off of it, I'm not so sure. It was running when parked but had some type of miss going on. Previous owner thought it was likely vacuum related. Probably hasn't been started for 6 or 8 years. It has a few small dents hear and there, probably from limbs falling on it. Although it has just the base grey cloth interior, it  is in the best original condition of any that I have seen. With just a little minor cleaning it would be nearly perfect. Virtually no rust in the car that I have seen with a quick look over. It had been owned since 1987 by the guys father in law who kept it under a carport in WV. All the pics I took while the car was wet. Not sure what I want to do with it now. Gotta get it running first to see what's going on there.XXX

Reply #1
XXX

Reply #2
XXX Do the LX models come with this leather wrap around the steering wheel or was this some type of add on that can be removed? This one is dissolving.  Oh, and even the dash is not cracked in this one!

Reply #3
My steering wheel was leather wrapped as well & had that sticky feel. I’ve read you can use simple green & VERY fine sandpaper to remove ? I replaced mine.... That appears to be a great/solid car. Keep us posted.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Reply #4
Nice! I saw a rough-looking 85 cougar on the road today, and I thought to myself "man, I never see any fox birds or cougars around anymore". Especially as nice as the one you bought home. I would keep it. Or fix/flip it. It's too nice to part out.
CoogarXR : 1985 Cougar XR-7

Reply #5
I think you have an 87 Sport, not an LX. The car has blacked out trim. LX would have chrome trim, Turbo Coupe door panels, and different seats.

Either way too nice to part and, being an 87 Sport, one of the rarer late Fox Birds.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #6
Quote from: thunderjet302;466446
I think you have an 87 Sport, not an LX. The car has blacked out trim. LX would have chrome trim, Turbo Coupe door panels, and different seats.

Either way too nice to part and, being an 87 Sport, one of the rarer late Fox Birds.

I'm so used to dealing with the Turbo Coupes that I was just kind of assuming this was an LX. This car is part of a deal that I recently made with a local guy to buy 6  87-88 Tbirds and a 90 Mustang Gt. None running at present and one Turbo Coupe does not have a motor. There is one other Tbird that I thought was a Sport and it has the Turbo Coupe style interior. One of the cars has the same paint scheme as yours. Another has these big cushy seats that looks like none that I've seen. This car even has a front tag bracket that doesn't appear to have ever been used.

Reply #7
Yeah, thats no parts car.

I couldn't tell ya how many cars I used to buy as "parts cars" that didn't run. Most of them I threw a battery in and drove home.

My first tbird I actually drove out of a field. It sunk down so far I had to dig out in front of the wheels. On the way home, the tires were dry rotted so bad, I chucked most of the tread off the tires at 25mph.

Got it home, did an oil change and drove it for about 80k miles. Had a few minor things, mainly hoses and the heater core, but overall was rock solid. I bought it for $300 and junked it for $400 when s was high before cash for clunkers.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #8
You can always check the sixth and seventh digits of the VIN to see what you have...

60 = Base
61 = Sport
62 = LX
64 = Turbo Coupe

Reply #9
Quote from: 50RACER;466448
I'm so used to dealing with the Turbo Coupes that I was just kind of assuming this was an LX. This car is part of a deal that I recently made with a local guy to buy 6  87-88 Tbirds and a 90 Mustang Gt. None running at present and one Turbo Coupe does not have a motor. There is one other Tbird that I thought was a Sport and it has the Turbo Coupe style interior. One of the cars has the same paint scheme as yours. Another has these big cushy seats that looks like none that I've seen. This car even has a front tag bracket that doesn't appear to have ever been used.

Well a 5.0 car with Turbo Coupe seats/door panels can be one of 2 things. If is an 87 and has a full digital dash it is a loaded up LX, because it was possible to order a LX like that in 87. If it is an 88 Sport it should have an buttstuffog cluster and base style door panels.

I'd like to see some pictures of the tu-tone car like mine. If it has the same color interior, and you part it out, I would want some bits as spares.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #10
+1 on Sport

Reply #11
Quote from: EricCoolCats;466450
You can always check the sixth and seventh digits of the VIN to see what you have...

60 = Base
61 = Sport
62 = LX
64 = Turbo Coupe

Yep. It's a Sport. Thanks for the info!

Reply #12
Quote from: thunderjet302;466453
Well a 5.0 car with Turbo Coupe seats/door panels can be one of 2 things. If is an 87 and has a full digital dash it is a loaded up LX, because it was possible to order a LX like that in 87. If it is an 88 Sport it should have an buttstuffog cluster and base style door panels.

I'd like to see some pictures of the tu-tone car like mine. If it has the same color interior, and you part it out, I would want some bits as spares.

Notice how long the two tone cars been sitting? :) The black car with the turbo coupe style interior  does show as a sport according to the vin.

Tried to start the car today. No go. Pretty sure its a fuel pump issue. Fires if you give it a little starting fluid and fuel barely trickles out of the pressure fitting at all if at all, most times none. Have I mentioned that I hate changing a fuel pump?

X

Reply #13
Quote from: 50RACER;466457
Notice how long the two tone cars been sitting? :) The black car with the turbo coupe style interior  does show as a sport according to the vin.

Tried to start the car today. No go. Pretty sure its a fuel pump issue. Fires if you give it a little starting fluid and fuel barely trickles out of the pressure fitting at all if at all, most times none. Have I mentioned that I hate changing a fuel pump?

X

Been sitting for awhile eh? What color is the interior? Maybe something is salvageable....

Reply #14
I think the interior on that one  is a dark blue?
One thing I forgot to mention prior about the car I just brought home, since it has the digital gauge cluster, I couldn't get the mileage until I put in a battery. It only has 73,000 mile on it! There was also a warranty packet in the car for an apparent Jasper transmission replacement at some point.