Skip to main content
Topic: Vent Windows (Read 3350 times) previous topic - next topic

Vent Windows

Reply #15
You know what, you're right.  Good catch.

Vent Windows

Reply #16
What was it that linked power mirrors to vent windows?  As we figured out, you could get crank windows with vents, but a crank window car with power mirrors seems like an odd combo to me?  I just wondered why those 2 features had to come together.

Vent Windows

Reply #17
The cable for manual mirrors runs through where the vent window goes.

To me it looks like they modified an off tye shelf part and made it fit. There's plenty of room for a cable to route down through the black part and have lots of room for adjustment but with the vent windows the cable gets in the way with the stock setup
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Vent Windows

Reply #18
So, did every 2-mirror car have the power mirror option, or could you have 2 manual mirrors?  I've never seen one of those, either.  Only seen a handful of single mirror cars as well.  I just have to have 2 mirrors.  To me a car with 1 mirror just doesn't look right.  Just one of my things.

Vent Windows

Reply #19
Standard outside mirror was cable, driver's side only, on base models through 1986. The passenger side got the block off plate. But you could get a passenger side cable remote mirror from the Ford parts department; it was pretty much identical to the driver's side and installed the same way. So technically it was possible to have two cable remote mirrors in that respect. I don't recall dual cable mirrors being a factory option. Most cars either had the PEP with dual power mirrors, or had the standalone option, or it was standard on an upper-level model. On the Cougar at least, power mirrors were standard from 1987-on.

Vent Windows

Reply #20
Many years ago I'd found a guy with some parts I wanted, and he lived a pretty good distance from me.  I drove there to pick up the parts I'd bought, and the car he had in the garage (the donor, I guess) was an '85/'86 T-bird base model with crank windows and the single manual mirror.  It was in a state of disassembly for whatever reason.  I picked my parts up and came home.  I talked to the guy a week or two later for some reason, and asked about his progress on the car.  He said that he would give the car to anyone who wanted to come pick it up.  Unfortunately I couldn't for many reasons, but I sure wish I had that opportunity again.

Vent Windows

Reply #21
Reminds me of a car I saw locally many years ago.  Came from the factory with a vent window on one side but none on the other side.  Owner thought it made his car super rare and valuable when all it really was, was an odd factory mix up.
tbirdregistry.com

Vent Windows

Reply #22
I have a set of manual mirrors on my 86 cougar. I pulled then off a 83 well optioned car. I actually deleted every power option on that car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com