Skip to main content
Topic: 1986 Turbo Coupe Mods? (Read 2002 times) previous topic - next topic

1986 Turbo Coupe Mods?

Hey, I've got a stock 1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe and I'm looking for some mods to do to it. It can be anything, suspension, engine, really anything. I don't know too much about it, as I'm learning. Anything would be helpful, thanks!

1986 Turbo Coupe Mods?

Reply #1
Check out coolcats.net , just to do some reading and get the basics figured out. Come back with questions.

Congrats and welcome.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

1986 Turbo Coupe Mods?

Reply #2
What are easier things I can do to get more power out of it? I've got a 2.5in exhaust with no cat and high flow ler already.

1986 Turbo Coupe Mods?

Reply #3
Boost controller, intercooler, big vam swap.

1986 Turbo Coupe Mods?

Reply #4
What is and where do I get a bigger vam?

1986 Turbo Coupe Mods?

Reply #5
Vam is the vane air meter, like a mass airflow sensor.  The big vam came on 87-88 Turbo Coupes.  You would need the matching computer and you should already have the brown top injectors if your car is an 86.  The 87-88 manual cars are rated at 190 horsepower, so adding the vam, computer, and intercooler are worth quite a bit of power for the earlier cars.  E6 exhaust manifold helps too if your car doesn't have one already.
1986 Mercury Cougar - 2.3T/T5 swap, TC brakes and suspension and rearend, 3" exhaust, 255 lph fuel pump, Stinger BOV, Gillis MBC @ 18 psi
2003 Chevy Suburban Z71 - Daily driver
2015 Chevy Volt - Wife's daily driver

1986 Turbo Coupe Mods?

Reply #6
Is your car a slush-o-matic or do you row your own gears?

86' T/C 4.6L DOHC
16' Chebby Cruze 1.4L Turbo
17’ Peterbilt 389 600hp 1850ftlb Trq 18spd

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Heavy Metal Mistress”
[/COLOR][/SIZE]