Skip to main content
Topic: speed limiter.... (Read 2462 times) previous topic - next topic

speed limiter....

Reply #15
why did I get reamed by some of the very same people who contributed to this thread when i mentioned how fast my old bird would go? everyone claimed that they ALL shut off at 108 and that i was a bold faced lier for claiming anything over that.

with that said, my pregnant fiancee called me a while back and told me she was having extreme stomach pains and i held my 88 v6 bird on the floor for almost 8 miles. when i finally let off i coasted for almost 3/4 of a mile before the speedo said 84
Currently Birdless but never Foxless

86 Mustang GT

speed limiter....

Reply #16
Quote from: Thunder Chicken;385624
There is not a Toyota part on a Cobalt. They're GM through and through.

Some 1988's had the speed limiter and some didn't. My 88 Cougar did not, I had it showing 199 km/hr and was still pulling on my sister's ex's '84 Cutlass. My '88 T-bird did have it though.

Yea just joking about the Cobolt, but saying they are "GM through and through" isn't saying alot.....lol. :D
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

speed limiter....

Reply #17
On my '88 3.8 car, I ran it one night till it just wouldn't go any faster, didn't have any "cut off" issue. As far as my Sport, I've never had the sack to push it it as fast as it will go, with either engine.

On a public road???
Nuts.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

speed limiter....

Reply #18
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;385659
why did I get reamed by some of the very same people who contributed to this thread when i mentioned how fast my old bird would go? everyone claimed that they ALL shut off at 108 and that i was a bold faced lier for claiming anything over that.

with that said, my pregnant fiancee called me a while back and told me she was having extreme stomach pains and i held my 88 v6 bird on the floor for almost 8 miles. when i finally let off i coasted for almost 3/4 of a mile before the speedo said 84

When I was 16, I did some stupid stuff, just like I said in your thread. I would never come close to the cut off now, but now I have some things to work for, and little people to take care of. I have more depending on me, then just me.

And if your wife is pregnent, it usually takes hours before you need any care of any type, and your better off alive then dead. For your sake, the kid and yours. Say you blow out a tire, hit something in the road, over react or turn too sharp. It only takes once.

As a 16-18 year old I felt invincable, and did a lot of stupid things. I smartened up before it was too late, and I hope you do too.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

speed limiter....

Reply #19
Quote from: Haystack;385690
As a 16-18 year old I felt invincible.

I did too.
The I attended about 5 funerals over a 3 month period...all under 20 years old. When it's kids your own age laying there in that box, it changes you beyond shag-all. Or at least it did me.
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

speed limiter....

Reply #20
Come up and visit the great state of Michigan, on US23 either you do 80 or above or you'll get run over....lol. :D  (even the cops don't stop ya)
95 Ranger Splash 2.3
88 Tbird Sport :ies::ies:
5.0 SO, stainless shorty headers, w/ Magnaflow lers. KYB struts, KYB shocks. 5lug conversion from sn95 Mustang, subframe connectors, drilled and slotted rotors, 03 Mach 1 wheels. sequential taillights.140 speedo

speed limiter....

Reply #21
Quote from: Dougy_Fresh;385659

That's always a good idea with a pregnant person in the vehicle.:punchballs:
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

speed limiter....

Reply #22
Quite a few years ago, probably early 90's, a few friends and I were going to a car show. We had a guy decide to mess with everyone. He was cutting in and out between cars and taunting our group. Before he got to me a couple of the guys behind me had had enough and jumped out behind him and started chasing him. I joined in once they past me and got beside one of the guys, my speedo was maxed out at 85 but it had pulled pretty strong past that. When we got to where we were going I asked him how fast we were going when we were side by side he said 130. I knew we were going fast because the car actually felt like it was lifting, it felt very light. That was with the original 7.5 rear with 2.73 gears. It was a very long mostly straight strech of road. I was old enough to know better but I got caught up in the moment. I know I was lucky nothing happened and now that I'm older I still like to play, but I don't go anywhere neer that fast. But after swapping the rear to an 8.8 with 3.55s it acts like it has the speed limiter. I've finally got a speedo gear that is pretty accurate now so it does go a little higher than when we did the swap but it still seems to have a limiter. It's wierd, you would think no matter what rear it would be the same. Sorry for being so long but I thought I'd share.