Skip to main content
Topic: Lowering the K member (Read 5047 times) previous topic - next topic

Lowering the K member

I did a search and couldn't find any info on this.
Has anyone here lowered their K member  in order to run a tallker engine package and retain the stock hood?
I am Looking at putting a turbocharged carbed 351W in my 84 turbocoupe, and with the bonnet it is going to stick up higher than the hood level.
I will be running lowering solid engine mounts and more than likely a tubular K member.
Just curious if anyone has done this before I dive in head first and fly by the seat of my pants.

Thanks,

Jim

Re: Lowering the K member

Reply #1
Hey Jim... Welcome to the dark side... :crazy:

To my knowledge no one on here has lowered their K member(or raised the body, which ever the case may be). I know there are spacer kits available for the Mustangs to install a 460 and use the stock hood. Since the '83-'85 Birds use the same K member those spacers should work for you..

BTW did you see Andrew Beedle's Twin Turbo 5.0 project Bird??

http://www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/showthread.php?t=1780

Tom

Reply #2
Yea, here is the lowering kit. http://fordifiedracing.homestead.com/kitinfo.html
I plan on either buying that or making my own.
I just checked out andrew's project, very nice.
I am thinking that mine will be a single setup... if it looks good enough, and enough people like it... I will sell the headers and downpipe.
I have had my gold 84 TC for a year and done nothing with it yet... but it looks like I am going to be turbocharging 3 other local fox bodies this summer... an 86 TC with a 5.0 swap, a 86 stang 5.0 notch, and an 88 Lincoln Mark VII.

Yea, going to be a fun year... :D

Jim

Reply #3
Hey Jim...still have that 84 TC?

Too bad I wasn't able to take that thing off your hands.  It's going to clean up really nice though.

Good luck with the swap.
Long live the 4-eyes!  - '83 Tbird Turbo

Reply #4
The one gentleman who did the 460 swap into the Red '85 TurboCoupe used a mustang 460 kit, I believe, which put a spacer between the K-member and the subframe or whatever it connects to.

Reply #5
a tubular k member would work wouldnt it...? the one im going to use will be custom made for my application by anthony jones (AJE). talked directly to him and for about 340 he will fab up one for the 4.6 DOHC swap im planning. he spacifically asked me if i wanted the engine lower in the car. my guess is they could build up just about anything.
:america: 1988 Thunderbird Sport, Former 4.6 DOHC T56 conversion project.

Rest of the country, Welcome to Massachusettes. Enjoy your stay.

Halfbreed... Mango Orange Y2K Mustang GT
FRPP complete 2000 Cobra engine swap, T56 n' junk...
~John~

Reply #6
Red '85 TurboCoupe used a mustang 460 kit, I believe, which put a spacer between the K-member and the subframe
The Stuffed Bird article I have here (83 TC with a 466)  doesn't mention spacers, but says he used "an elaborate but effective homebuilt dry-sump oiling system with a shallow pan, a 22-quart trunk-mounted oil tank, and a belt-driven Peterson dry-sump pump to circulate the vital fluid. This eliminates the original Ford oil pump and instead uses two scavenger pickups and one pressure stage."
Death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth.

1988 5.0 Bird, mostly stock, partly not, now gone to T-Bird heaven.
1990 Volvo 740GL. 114 tire-shredding horsies, baby!

Reply #7
I have heard that you could get the K members that slightly lower the engine... I will have to check on the AJE K member.
Yea chuck, I still have her... its too pretty to just let her go.
The main think I am looking at right now... is keeping the mostly stock appearance.
Turbo 351 should put down WELL over 500 hp without breaking a sweat. I should have it to the point that I have to turn down the boost to legally run it at the track... as it will be a driver that I take my kids cruising in... and I cant have the pootential of bouncing my kids off a roll cage.

Jim

Reply #8
Quote from: shame302
he spacifically asked me if i wanted the engine lower in the car.

Did he say anything about just how much lower you could go w/ it?

Reply #9
no not spacifically. more or less wanted to know how i wanted the engine to sit in there.

~John~

Reply #10
Krap.

Every inch is gonna count in the project I've been considering lately.

Reply #11
he will fab up one for the 4.6 DOHC swap im planning.

doodz! i wanted one of those in my TBird. :grinno:  heh, guess i'll stick with the 327 plan.  ;)
2005 Subaru WRX STi|daily driver

Reply #12
Krap.

Every inch is gonna count in the project I've been considering lately.

why, been considering a modular? they mite as well be a big block. its a tight fit in the fox chassis...it would be nice to not be all alone in the DOHC 4.6/5.4 swap...mine should begine at the end of 2005 or into 2006.........i have one guy i talk with about my swap...he just recently finnished up his 03 cobra engine into his 93 cobra mustang....prepare yourself....

~John~

Reply #13
No, I'm considering an EFI 300 I6 with a pair of TC turbos. (or equivalent) 10 inch deck height, straight up.

Reply #14
now THAT,....is different...i like different

~John~