Skip to main content
Topic: Cougar and T-bird front (Read 1559 times) previous topic - next topic

Cougar and T-bird front

Hello. I am new to this forum and I have a dilemma. I own an 87 XR7 and cannot find headlamp assemblies. I want to replace my whole front forward of the fenders and hood with one from a T-bird or Cougar that houses the sealed beam glass headlamps. Can anyone help me? I love this car and want to keep it.

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #1
I’m not 100% sure but wasn’t there a Lincoln headlight that matched up? Maybe the 89 model? Others may chime in that know for sure. Try Rons Performance Garage on EBay. Good luck with the search.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #2
1988-94 Lincoln Continental headlamps were the same.

As far as the front end swap, technically it could be done but the molding will not line up correctly, and you'd have issues with the headlight wiring harness not being correct.

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #3
The front end will swap, no issue from tbird to cougar. I put a cougar front end on my 87 tbird, everything swapped over

From two to four headlights is a different story, but it can't be all that hard or different.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #4
I can rewire headlamps with no troubles.

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #5
The dealers have looked and the 92 was said to work but the part numbers are different so no matches so far. Best chance is an entire front assembly swap from an earlier Cougar or Bird

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #6
You can get good headlight assemblies off ebay
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #7
prices have gone up, but here is one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Lincoln-Continental-89-94-Mercury-Cougar-87-88-Headlamp-Lens-Light-LEFT/273065776615?fits=Year%3A1987%7CModel%3ACougar&epid=1240462006&hash=item3f93fd15e7:g:RZkAAOSwhzRafK1X

marker light

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Ford-E7WY-13201-B-Front-Left-Inner-Parking-Light-Lamp-For-87-88-Cougar/182296357856?epid=1111275423&hash=item2a71b5abe0:g:5WQAAOSwNRdX7IxH

Gotta be patient, they will come up.  I would rather polish and buff good used pieces, before swapping noses. 

Type search E7WY occasionally.

Search Green obsolete sales occasionally.  Have some outer markers, but I cant/wont pay $175 for an outer marker, yet that is.
Mike

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #8
both pn's per my diy link..

Ford Part # E80Y-13007-A and E80Y-13007-B

also,, an observation from vinnietbird here said he did not notice the dull effect on the Cont vs our birds/cougs.

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #9
I dont mean to give anyone any bright ideas here but....

when you take the lens off your housing,, did you know that the 83-86 glass lamps drop inside perfectly?

Cougar and T-bird front

Reply #10
Quote from: jcassity;465517
I dont mean to give anyone any bright ideas here but....

when you take the lens off your housing,, did you know that the 83-86 glass lamps drop inside perfectly?

Sounds sneaky.  Have you considered it?  Wonder how you could make it look "factory"  ??
Mike