Skip to main content
Topic: Tweeter location ? (Read 3431 times) previous topic - next topic

Tweeter location ?

I picked up some 2 way separates awhile back and can't decide a good location for the tweeter. Thought about in the dash where the 3.5s were originally but that may be too far from the 6.5s in the doors? Also thought of mounting them on the triangular piece by the mirrors? Any suggestions?
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Tweeter location ?

Reply #1
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;462391
I picked up some 2 way separates awhile back and can't decide a good location for the tweeter. Thought about in the dash where the 3.5s were originally but that may be too far from the 6.5s in the doors? Also thought of mounting them on the triangular piece by the mirrors? Any suggestions?

Mounting them in the dash will sound really good. Had a really nice setup in the neon I had mounting them in the dash where the factory 3.5" speakers went sounded good.
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Tweeter location ?

Reply #2
That's what I'm considering as I don't really want to cut up my door panels.
87 Tbird LX w/Factory floor shifter:D   3G upgrade. Tinted Windows...85 Mustang GT steering wheel(non-cruise) 17'' Saleen SC style wheels,Front/Rear TC sway bars/poly bushings & Mustang GT steering rack...'05 Mustang V6 springs...93 Cobra MC & booster, MM adjustable C/C plates,  Work  In  Progress.......  ( On The Shelf---HO computer, 19lb injectors, HO cam, BBK headers, Explorer Intake, Cold Air Intake ,Phantom Gauges, Stinger stainless exhaust pipes )
 S O L D

Tweeter location ?

Reply #3
Quote from: ISTLCRUZ;462401
That's what I'm considering as I don't really want to cut up my door panels.

Yeah I would never recommend cutting up your panels it always looks awful and tacky.
88 Cougar
88 T-Bird
other cars that don't apply to this forum

Tweeter location ?

Reply #4
Mounting them in the dash in my Coupe and in the Bird both sound good.  My F150 has them in the A-pillars and that is a loooong way away from the 6.5's in the doors (all aftermarket) and they sound really good as well.  The hifi purists will scream that the tweeters are off axis and that is not something one should do but I have a pretty good ear and I have zero complaints on any of my vehicles.

Use some back strap to mount the tweeter into the dash location.  I bent the back strap so that I had some tabs where the stock speakers mounted and then bent it so the top of the tweeter was flush with the speaker mounts.  The attached picture is a good example of what I am talking about.

X

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp