Skip to main content
Topic: Front Accessory Drive Modifications (Read 2999 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Front Accessory Drive Modifications

Reply #15
So ... question for those that have done the 3G upgrade ... hoping you can help me.  I unplugged the two connectors from the stock alternator and then per the instructions, out of these two connectors, I cut off the black rectangular one.  I was going to clean up the wiring a little and upon removing some wire loom and electrical tape, I found that the two black/orange wires from this connector go back into a single black/orange wire.  The instructions want you to put ring terminals on each of these wires and then connect them to the back of the alternator.  I have enough length in the harness, so my question is ... can I just cut this wire before it splits into two and then put a single ring terminal to the back of the alternator?  I don't see how this would hurt anything, but figured I would ask in the event anyone has experience with this or has wired their 3G up the same way.

Reply #16
When I did my 3g I did wire mine up this way, but along with another 6 gauge charge cable and a 175 amp factory style fuse.

You do not only want to use that single 10 gauge wire as the charge wire for a 3g alt. It will easily melt the wire or possibly burn up the car.
Quote from: jcassity
I honestly dont think you could exceed the cost of a new car buy installing new *stock* parts everywhere in your coug our tbird. Its just plain impossible. You could revamp the entire drivetrain/engine/suspenstion and still come out ahead.
Hooligans! 
1988 Crown Vic wagon. 120K California car. Wifes grocery getter. (junked)
1987 Ford Thunderbird LX. 5.0. s.o., sn-95 t-5 and an f-150 clutch. Driven daily and going strong.
1986 cougar.
lilsammywasapunkrocker@yahoo.com

Reply #17
When I did my 3g I did wire mine up this way, but along with another 6 gauge charge cable and a 175 amp factory style fuse.

You do not only want to use that single 10 gauge wire as the charge wire for a 3g alt. It will easily melt the wire or possibly burn up the car.

Yeah, I have the stand alone 4 ga fused power wire ... just looking to see if anyone else took these two black/orange wires down to one.  I ended up cutting before the "Y" to take it down to a single wire but I haven't finished the wiring up just yet.

Reply #18
That looks great! 
1988 Thunderbird TC, 5spd
Stinger 3" single exhaust, Cone Filter, Adjustable Cam Pulley, Schneider roller cam, Walbro 255 lph, AEM Wideband O2
'93 Mustang Cobra replica wheels on 235/50R17

'21 F150 Powerboost
'17 Husqvarna TX300

Reply #19
So ... question for those that have done the 3G upgrade ... hoping you can help me.  I unplugged the two connectors from the stock alternator and then per the instructions, out of these two connectors, I cut off the black rectangular one.  I was going to clean up the wiring a little and upon removing some wire loom and electrical tape, I found that the two black/orange wires from this connector go back into a single black/orange wire.  The instructions want you to put ring terminals on each of these wires and then connect them to the back of the alternator.  I have enough length in the harness, so my question is ... can I just cut this wire before it splits into two and then put a single ring terminal to the back of the alternator?  I don't see how this would hurt anything, but figured I would ask in the event anyone has experience with this or has wired their 3G up the same way.

I don't see why you can't cut the two wires off where they merge into one and just put a ring terminal on that one wire. I did that when I swapped to a 3G without issue.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #20

I don't see why you can't cut the two wires off where they merge into one and just put a ring terminal on that one wire. I did that when I swapped to a 3G without issue.

Thanks.  That's what I ended up doing ... just wanted to see if anyone else had done the same without issue.  I don't see how it could cause an issue, but I get a little nervous when dealing with the charging system and making modifications.  I still haven't finished the wiring, hoping to wrap that up this weekend and start her back up.

Reply #21
Just got back from a vacation and working on buttoning things back up.  Just need to clean up the 3G wiring and attach the fan shroud ... it's just loosely sitting there in the photo and that's why it's right against the tensioner.  Decided on putting in a "Contour" electric fan (actually pulled one from a Cougar ... because why not?).  Putting the regular fan set up back in for the time being while I acquire the fan controller/relays/misc. and clean up the actual fan assembly itself.

Reply #22
wow!  that sucker is CLEAN.
Mike