Skip to main content
Topic: Re: Chrome on Side moldings (Read 1708 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Chrome on Side moldings

Re: Chrome on Side moldings

Aaaannnndddd 8 years later I found something that works, at least for the 87-88 cars. It's made by 3m, Silver Polyester Metalized Film Tape 1/2" Width.

https://www.grainger.com/product/15C477?gclid=COflnqTds9ICfornicate5wAodrvMFuQ&cm_mmc=PPC:GOOGLEPLAA-_-Adhesives%2C%20Sealants%20and%20Tape-_-Tapes-_-15C477&AL!2966!3!50916781677!!!g!104636078517!&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!50916781677!!!g!104636078517!&ef_id=V0NsfgAABDQah4wP:20170228212508:s

Grainger sells it. A 5 yard roll (15 feet) is enough to do the rubber side moldings between the wheels. It has an acrylic backing (like body side molding tape) and, if applied to a clean, grease free surface, sticks like crazy. It only needs to be trimmed at the ends as it is the perfect width to cover the chrome strip in the moldings .

Found this.  How is it holding up..?
Mike

Re: Re: Chrome on Side moldings

Reply #1
It's holding up great. Still looks like when I applied it. A caveat: my car lives in a garage (sometimes also under a cover) when not in use, is washed with water twice a year (the rest of the time is quick detailer or waterless wash), and lives a pretty pampered life. If you car doesn't it might not last as long. If/when the 3M tape goes bad I'd get a vinyl graphics shop to cut me a 1/2" diameter roll of chrome automotive vinyl and use that.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #2
It's holding up great. Still looks like when I applied it. A caveat: my car lives in a garage (sometimes also under a cover) when not in use, is washed with water twice a year (the rest of the time is quick detailer or waterless wash), and lives a pretty pampered life. If you car doesn't it might not last as long. If/when the 3M tape goes bad I'd get a vinyl graphics shop to cut me a 1/2" diameter roll of chrome automotive vinyl and use that.

Maybe I should just go with this instead?  Think it would hold up better?

https://www.moproauto.com/1-2-x-150ft-professional-vinyl-solid-pin-striping-roll/

Edit.  I pulled the trigger on the above link product, well see how it goes. 
Mike

Reply #3

https://www.moproauto.com/1-2-x-150ft-professional-vinyl-solid-pin-striping-roll/

Does it come in chrome?
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #4

Does it come in chrome?
Doesn't appear to.  Maybe email them and see what they can do?
Mike