Skip to main content
Topic: Almost done with the 302 engine build (Read 9437 times) previous topic - next topic

Almost done with the 302 engine build

[video=youtube_share;TbAKU0Xc6nY]http://youtu.be/TbAKU0Xc6nY[/video]
1985 Muscle Car V8 Thunderbird
tbirdregistry.com - #56919
Lorain, OH. Assembly #151041
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6
tbirdregistry.com - #80084
Lorain, OH. Assembly #111106

Reply #1
Congrats, the disease only gets worse from here. Hope it runs strong. Your garage needs a few more square feet!

Reply #2
Nice!
'88 'bird, 10.9:1 306 w/TFS top end, forged rods/pistons, T-5 swap & bunch of other stuff, 1-family owned, had it since ‘98, 5.0tbrd88 on Instagram and YouTube

Reply #3
Here is an update, excuse the quality, it's a snap from a video frame since my camera's battery is tweaked.
Getting kinda excited on this build being the first V8 and American car engine I have done. I find that the parts are cheaper to get on the V8 compared to my other 4 cylinder builds. Though with the V8 you have to do twice as many things, lol.

XX
Getting close to removing what is left of the engine in the TBird and finishing up cleaning the AC compressor and power steering pump. I need to either do some modding on the brackets for these accessories or purchase some Ebay brackets that are cut and shaped aluminum.

As for my garage, it is small, Very Small in fact, lol. But I look at it this way...when I am done working on cars, the car does not need to be buffed out because I have done that as I continuously squeeze by the car over and over again. :rollin:
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6

Reply #4
Great looking engine. Now, pull straight up on all the valve cober T-handles, and remove the "T" from each one. Re-install it in line with the valve cover. Sorry, but it's driving me crazy.

I hope it churns out some good power. What are the details? What cam, rockers, headers, etc?
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #5
Quote from: vinnietbird;445212
Great looking engine. Now, pull straight up on all the valve cober T-handles, and remove the "T" from each one. Re-install it in line with the valve cover. Sorry, but it's driving me crazy.

I hope it churns out some good power. What are the details? What cam, rockers, headers, etc?

OCD at it's finest!

Reply #6
Quote from: Chrome;445309
OCD at it's finest!

that keeps catching my eye too......lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #7
I knew if I saw it, then Jerry saw it too.
'88 Sport--T-5,MGW shifter,Trick Flow R intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Scorpion rockers,75mm Accufab t-body,3G,mini starter,Taurus fan,BBK long tube headers,O/R H-Pipe, Flowamaster Super 44's, deep and deeper Cobra R wheels, Mass Air and 24's,8.8 with 3.73's,140 mph speedo,Mach 1 chin spoiler,SN-95 springs,CHE control arms,aluminum drive shaft and a lot more..

Reply #8
dont worry..it bugs me when I look at my tires, and all the lettering isnt in the same position on all my tires.... lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
***** Project "EVOLUTION" 1987 Cougar LS  & 1985 Cougar Convertible *****
[/COLOR]
5.0 HO 306 roller block, machined GT-40P heads, Wiseco dished forged pistons, Eagle forged floating I-beam connecting rods, Lunati pushrods, ARP bolts, Scorpion aluminum 1.6 rockers, Comp Cams Magnum 266HR, Explorer intake, 65mm TB, MAF Conversion, 19# injectors, Ford Racing stainless P-headers, 2-1/2" cat-less exhaust w/ Flowtech Afterburner lers , SC AOD with 2800 BDR torque converter, 3.73 T-Lok rear, CHE rear control arms, full 2-1/2" frame w/1" jacking rails & seat supports, Rear disk brakes, Turbine wheels, All original interior w/ floor shift upgrade .......
Pretty much every panel on my 87 is new, rebuilt, or re constructed. :D
Join us on Facebook

Reply #9
Hahahah , I have many things to still do the motor, PVC, Catch Can, carb plumbing and linkage, New hoses...you know the routine.
I do like chrome also, just incase anyone was going to ask.  easy to clean, looks nice and I can comb my hair looking into a valve cover. 8oÞ
Those T-Handles are solid all the way, or chromed over cheapos and not tight yet. Stepped near the handle, but I can't separate these ones
and had to add a 1/4 tube piece at the bottom to compensate for extra threads.
Also only got cork gaskets in kit and they seem to suck.
The handles actually work real well if I have to get into covers quickly.
Just finished installing all the nose gear on the engine, AC, PS, ALT, no pump.

Anyway, this is my inventory list that grows each time I make a stop at the Auto parts store.
I have too many friends at the parts place and think I need to just wave as I go by from now on.

Restoration Build for 1985 Thunderbird, purchased $500 with nice wheels and almost a perfect body and running gear.
Removed the entire '85 engine w/cracked block, replacing with a '88 302 and changing from SEFI to a carb.
The car is smog exempt and all smog related items are removed.

Ford Racing Roller HO E303 1.6 cam 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8
New seals
Comp Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Gear Set
Edelbrock 1406 600cfm 4bbl carb
Edelbrock 2121K Performer Intake & kit
MSD Dgital 6A Multispark Ignition
MSD 8282 Blaster ll Coil
Chrome Valve Covers/T-handles
Chrome Hugger/Shorty Style Headers
Duralast Modified Duraspark Wide Cap Distributor w/Machined Gear
March Performance Serpentine Underdrive Crank Pulley Kit, Oversized Alt Pulley to raise voltages.
FelPro Full Gasket Kit w/One piece Blue Oil Pan Metal Inlaid Rubber Gasket
Ford Racing Hyd. lifters, Rockers & Push Rods
Trick Flow Valve Double Spring Complete Set
B&M AOD Shift Improver / Street Set Installation
Ported heads - exhaust and gasket matched head to header
All new hoses
Repainting engine bay to black

Interior
Replacing to Black
Replaced Speedometer & Repaired the gear indication. Future change to console shifter since full console is present already
Install Sun Tach
Installing 3 gauge pillar
New stereo in dash
New larger Cougar 3rd Tail Light
Dash Cover
New Windshield
Rebuilt the window regulators with replaced motors, lubed them and door auto lock mechanism.

ToDo
Carb Throttle compensator for AC
Kick down for AOD - non cable
New Paint - Car
Lowering Kit
Tint Windows
New Hi-Back Buckets
Fuel Pressure regulator
Replace Fuel Lines - Remove the one Exterior Pump and keeping the tank pump until I see a problem
AC Recharge
B&M Shift Kit
Duel Magnaflow short side dump exhaust
Turbo Coupe Hood Scoops
Braided Hosing
Ring & Pinion
Flush radiator / Install thermo-controlled Electric Fans

I think that is everything, at least until tomorrow.
X
Better photo, though all the accessories are on now. Car in garage.

OCD This! :shakeass:
811 TBirds followed Mine

1988 Thunderbird V6

Reply #10
Just remember to prime the motor before you start it.  I like to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on on a fresh motor so that when it is primed and first run I know I have good oil pressure.  Once you know you have good oil pressure you can remove the mechanical gauge and go back to the stock gauges.  You can get a cheepo mechanical from any parts store for a few bucks and it is definitely worth the piece of mind in my opinion.

Darren

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #11
OP, if you really want to get Vinnie back for the T-handle comment, try this:

Tell him that flaw in his paint is driving you nuts (I know of no such flaw). He will spend days looking all over his car. Eventually, he will be standing on his head and holding a magnifying glass. He will find SOMETHING! At that point in time, he will begin to worry and even loose sleep. Before you know it, there will be a new thread about another new paint job on the sport (for a flaw that NOBODY could have ever noticed). Lol!

Reply #12
Quote from: Chrome;445309
OCD at it's finest!

As long as mine is coated with an equal amount of snow (the '87) or dust inside the shop (the '84) I'm pretty content. Cold weather kinda puts a dampener on my enthusiasm. Soon though, it will be warm(er), and then I'll be too busy doing other farm  to even think about cars. I ought to sell them, and forget about a fast fun car.

And I could also wear women's clothes...because that will also make me a little bitch. LOL

Hope to make some progress on my engine soon..wanna get this sucker going! :)
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6

Reply #13
Quote from: ThunderbirdSport302;445444

And I could also wear women's clothes...because that will also make me a little bitch. LOL

:)

I think this is for a different kind of forum. Is there a forum for country singer look-a-likes in drag?:wrongforum:

Reply #14
Probably...LOL.

I don't wear women's clothes, but I have been told I resemble a country singer...
'84 Mustang
'98 Explorer 5.0
'03 Focus, dropped a valve seat. yay. freakin' split port engines...
'06 Explorer EB 4.6