Skip to main content
Topic: Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ... (Read 19945 times) previous topic - next topic

Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ...

Reply #120
No, sorry, no real updates yet.  I got the seats all installed, but I haven't taken the car anywhere yet ... still working on the underside and fuel pump issue ... all good, put just need to button everything back up.  Should be going back together here shortly and then I'll be able to say one way or the other.  Sitting in them though, they seem better than the Corbeaus, but the new foam is definitely firmer, which does make them feel a little higher because I don't quite sink down into them the same way I did with the old foam ... if that makes sense.

Reply #121
Makes perfect sense. Wonder if the new foam will break in or if these newer materials stand up better over time. If the latter is the case then we may be back to shaving the base of the lower seat foam for us taller guys. Look forward to your driving impressions down the road.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #122
I've been struggling in the spare time and motivation departments ... doing some clean up work under the car while the fuel tank is out.  Still haven't had a chance to test/enjoy the seats, but hoping I can make a push to get things buttoned up before spring.

Reply #123
Understandable.  My level of motivation is always lower in the winter as I just do not like the cold.  My Corbeau seats are still in the Bird and uncomfortable in height.  Worst case is they will end up in my dad's '69 Fastback as we can rework the floor pan if we have to being it is getting the entire floor pan replaced.  We can hack on the existing one to figure it out and then apply the solution to the new one without the mistakes.

83 351W TKO'd T-Bird on the bottle

93 331 Mustang Coupe - 368 rwhp

Reply #124
My other "problem" is scope creep ... I just get too far down the rabbit hole.  When I remove something, it just leads to thoughts of replacing and upgrading other things.  I'm sure it's an affliction many of us deal with.

Reply #125
Quote from: 85CougarCobra;468698
My other "problem" is scope creep ... I just get too far down the rabbit hole.  When I remove something, it just leads to thoughts of replacing and upgrading other things.  I'm sure it's an affliction many of us deal with.

The classic "while I'm here...….."

Seats look great though.
88 Thunderbird LX: 306, Edelbrock Performer heads, Comp 266HR cam, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, bunch of other stuff.

Reply #126
Quote from: thunderjet302;468714
The classic "while I'm here...….."

Seats look great though.

Thanks!  ... and yes, "while I'm here ....." is in full effect ... ha!

Re: Seat upgrade ... attempt #2 ...

Reply #127
This post is incredible, how do we get the pics back and updated.  Would be a shame to lose all that info and work.
Mike

Reply #128
This post is incredible, how do we get the pics back and updated.  Would be a shame to lose all that info and work.

I second this - would like to see how this all fits on the stock frames. I'd be willing to throw the images into a folder on my web host, so these aren't stored on the forum itself.

I believe that this is the foam and upholstery set to use? https://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-upholstery-03-04-cobra-style-sport-high-back-seats-1987-1989/p/U81-V/

For verification, are our Sport/TC seat frames and foam identical to the "1987-89 Mustang Sport Seats"? I've seen that mentioned elsewhere once on this forum.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #129

I second this - would like to see how this all fits on the stock frames. I'd be willing to throw the images into a folder on my web host, so these aren't stored on the forum itself.

I believe that this is the foam and upholstery set to use? https://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-upholstery-03-04-cobra-style-sport-high-back-seats-1987-1989/p/U81-V/

For verification, are our Sport/TC seat frames and foam identical to the "1987-89 Mustang Sport Seats"? I've seen that mentioned elsewhere once on this forum.

Thanks, I spent some time on posting the steps hoping it might help those who wanted to DIY their seats.  BCA reached out to me and is going to work on getting the pictures back up (thank you Brent).

I responded in your SN95 seat thread, but this is the foam I used: https://www.cjponyparts.com/tmi-seat-foam-sport-svo-style-for-2003-2004-cobra-style-upholstery-1990-1991/p/SF37-V/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkdzQ-aK25QIVjpOzCh35lgUfEAQYASABEgIOp_D_BwE#217=985&year=1990

You want 90-91 Mustang foam if you are rebuilding Tbird/Cougar sport seats because both set ups have the 24" seat backs.  If you're starting with Mustang seats as your base, then you'll want to buy the foam for the corresponding year(s) Mustang.  You can use 26" high seat backs in a Tbird/Cougar if you so desire.  The only "issue" I had when I had stock 26" high Mustang seats in my car was that between the additional height and the tall headrests, the headrests would contact the roof of the car when I moved the seat back to access the backseat.  I had to rotate the headrest down, but I could still fully move the seat back ... hopefully that makes sense.

Reply #130
I have always considered installing SVO's seats in my XR-7, mostly for the extra bolstering but didn't want want to lose the comfort and features of the original seats not to mention the original look and feel of the "waffle iron" upholstery that I personally find very appealing. When Matt originally posted this thread, it was pretty much exactly what I would like to do to my seats someday and I cut and pasted his steps and pictures into Word file and filed it away for my own convenience.

I was able to get nearly all of Matt's photo's back in to the tread, but I did miss a few. That was due to me originally saving only those that pertained to the actual rebuild.

I don't think it can be understated that Matt's work here is extremely helpful whether you plan on doing a similar conversion, restoring, or even just some repair work to your original seats.

Brent
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #131
I have always considered installing SVO's seats in my XR-7, mostly for the extra bolstering but didn't want want to lose the comfort and features of the original seats not to mention the original look and feel of the "waffle iron" upholstery that I personally find very appealing. When Matt originally posted this thread, it was pretty much exactly what I would like to do to my seats someday and I cut and pasted his steps and pictures into Word file and filed it away for my own convenience.

I was able to get nearly all of Matt's photo's back in to the tread, but I did miss a few. That was due to me originally saving only those that pertained to the actual rebuild.

I don't think it can be understated that Matt's work here is extremely helpful whether you plan on doing a similar conversion, restoring, or even just some repair work to your original seats.

Brent

Brent - thank you for the work on salvaging the photos, appreciate it!

Reply #132
No problem at all.
Happy to help out. :cheers:
1985 Mercury Cougar XR-7 - 5-speed 
One of 1,246 built

Reply #133
Huge thumbs up,  That would make an excellent write up on Coolcats.  Eric????
Mike