Skip to main content
Topic: Factory EQ w/ aftermarket amps - Diagram within! (Read 11980 times) previous topic - next topic

Factory EQ w/ aftermarket amps - Diagram within!

Can I use my factory EQ with aftermarket amplifiers?  I have a sony cd player running rca's to two amplifiers in the trunk and then to the subs and speakers.  I noticed on thunderchicken's site there were diagrams to use the factory amp w/ an aftermarket head unit, but that only solved half my problem.  Input is understandable enough, but what is the color code for the output?

*edit*

With a little bit of research, I was able to crack ford's wiring code.  Here is a wiring diagram.

1987 Thunderbird 3.8. Sold :(

1982 Thunderbird - Goodbye 255, Hello 302!

Reply #1
I'd love to somehow make the EQ receive input from my Kenwood HU and spit out sound to the amp.  Putting an aftermarket EQ in the factory position is pretty much impossible.

Only problems with the Ford one is that it isn't a passive EQ (and aftermarket amps don't need pre amp from inferior 1980s technology) and that whole converting RCA jacks thingie.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #2
You may want to call Crutchfield.

They have (or used to have) special wiring harnesses that allowed you to use the factory Premium Sound amp & EQ along with an aftermarket head unit...They may have what you need for your application. Wouldn't hurt to call and see. Good luck.

Reply #3
I may just experiment and see what I can come up with.  I'll post my findings.

Reply #4
Quote from: Royce 67/87/97
You may want to call Crutchfield.

They have (or used to have) special wiring harnesses that allowed you to use the factory Premium Sound amp & EQ along with an aftermarket head unit...They may have what you need for your application. Wouldn't hurt to call and see. Good luck.

I know how to use the factory amp and EQ w/ an aftermarket CD player, there's a diagram on Thunderchicken's site just for that.  I need to figure out how to output from the EQ into an aftermarket amp.  Thanks for the recommendation, though.

Reply #5
If you can bypass the amp in the Ford EQ and just make it passive, that would be awesome.
pro-five-oh

88 Cougar XR-7...5.0HO, T-56, and much more                             
85 Thunderbird 30th...#2471, 29k, all original and might actually stay that way

Reply #6
Please note that this is using line level ins and outs, so you'll splice in your own RCA ends.  Male on the inputs and female on the outs.  Okay, here's the color code that I used:

Pink/Lt Blue ------- Right Positive IN
Pink/Lt. Green ----- Left Positive IN
Black/White-------- Common Negative (IN and OUT)
Lt. Blue/Red-------- Lights (+12V w/ lights on)
Orange/Lt. Blue ---- Power (+12V ignition power on)

Output to amplifier(s)
Lt Blue/Black-------- Left Rear +
Green -------------- Left Front +
Purple/White-------- Right Rear +
White/Red---------- Right Front +
Black/White--------- Common Negative

You will use the Black/White wire for a junction of all the Negative inputs and outputs (I'm not sure if you even need to hook this wire up in this application, but I did anyway).  Be sure to ground the chassis and you're good to go!  It works quite well.  Here's a py cell phone picture of the EQ in action.

Reply #7
Quote from: amooset
Please note that this is using line level ins and outs, so you'll splice in your own RCA ends.  Male on the inputs and female on the outs.  Okay, here's the color code that I used:

Pink/Lt Blue ------- Right Positive IN
Pink/Lt. Green ----- Left Positive IN
Black/White-------- Common Negative (IN and OUT)
Lt. Blue/Red-------- Lights (+12V w/ lights on)
Orange/Lt. Blue ---- Power (+12V)

Output to amplifier(s)
Lt Blue/Black-------- Left Rear +
Green -------------- Left Front +
Purple/White-------- Right Rear +
White/Red---------- Right Front +
Black/White--------- Common Negative

You will use the Black/White wire for a junction of all the Negative inputs and outputs.  Be sure to ground the chassis and you're good to go!  You may also want to buy a noise filter.  It works quite well.  Here's a py cell phone picture of the EQ in action.

Dude, this is fricken bada_s! :bowdown:
I've been wanting to use my stock EQ as well but I also want to use my stock radio with aftermarket amps.  The only difference with what you have and what I want is the head unit.
"lol.. because not too many people care for that style of car"
[size=-2]Click on paw print \/[/size]

Reply #8
Those colors clash so much. I'd try at least smoothing the transition with some blue LED's in the sliders. Blue and green aren't that bad, red and green... :yuck:
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #9
Actually the red isn't as bright as it may seem in the picture, my camera phone sux.  Besides, this CD player is from my last car, which had red Dash lights.  I wasn't about to spend another 200 bucks just to make it look more complimentary.

Reply #10
Quote from: pro-five-oh

Only problems with the Ford one is that it isn't a passive EQ (and aftermarket amps don't need pre amp from inferior 1980s technology) and that whole converting RCA jacks thingie.

It sounds just as good as it did before I hooked up the EQ (except now I have an EQ :D). I noticed no quality downgrades whatsoever and the only problem I noticed was a preexisting one - engine noise.  This is most likely due to my mess of wires in the trunk that I haven't gotten around to fixing/organizing.

Reply #11
oh, I just meant pulling the EQ sliders out and swapping the green LED's with blue ones. Takes no more than a minute to swap all 7, and it'll help bring your headunit into the rest of the car.

Now where to find the things, I haven't a clue but I'm sure they're available. I'd find a green one (available everywhere), look at the bulb type/size on the package, and look online for the same type, but in blue.

Just my opinion ;)
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #12
Is there any soldering involved?  I'd really consider it if they just pull out.  It's not quite worth it if I have to pull everything apart and solder just to change a color.

Reply #13
Wait...the EQ only takes in 2 channels, and splits out to 4? Basically rendering the front/rear faders useless in the head unit.
1988 Thunderbird Sport

Reply #14
Oh, didn't see your question about the LED's. They pull out. Just pull on one and the black cover will come off, then the LED pulls out easily. With new LED's, you may have to clip the leads to the same length as the stock ones, but its an easy swap (seconds)

edit:
I believe they're 5x2mm LED's
1988 Thunderbird Sport